Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Replacing pump shoe on 2005 RXP, couple questions

Broke the lip off the pump shoe on my 2005 RXP ... I have a modded X ride plate and a Riva X ride plate I want to try, went heat exchanger and fiberglassed the hull closed, so I had a couple questions ...

Since I will be running X style ride plates, can I / should I install an X style pump shoe? Do they fit?

Teeth in the pump shoe ... leave them in or get rid of them? I have run both ways ...

Alignment ... I have the alignment tool, I know each pump shoe is slightly different, the manual is a little light on info here ... I have read other posts that I found, is there a 'smart' way to dry fit/align the shoe?

Sealant ... is Loctite 5900 still the best choice or is there something as strong that has the working time needed?

+1
    The loctite 5900 is the best. Some use the 3m marine as well with the same results. I would leave the teeth in the pump shoe. Alignment is the same for the 4 tecs IMO! start without any shims on the pump shoe and adjust and shim accordingly to get an even distance around the alignment shaft. Measure using a small ruler with mm on it. Then shim the engine mounts to get it dialed in. Should take a few dry fits. I left the tool on while it set to get a true fit as the shoe cured. Just made sense to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Broke the lip off the pump shoe on my 2005 RXP ... I have a modded X ride plate and a Riva X ride plate I want to try, went heat exchanger and fiberglassed the hull closed, so I had a couple questions ...

Since I will be running X style ride plates, can I / should I install an X style pump shoe? Do they fit?

Teeth in the pump shoe ... leave them in or get rid of them? I have run both ways ...

Alignment ... I have the alignment tool, I know each pump shoe is slightly different, the manual is a little light on info here ... I have read other posts that I found, is there a 'smart' way to dry fit/align the shoe?

Sealant ... is Loctite 5900 still the best choice or is there something as strong that has the working time needed?
    Vern, the X shoe will leave you with about a 1/4 in gap between the shoe and grate so stick with the p shoe.

As for aligning the shoe you will get some mixed info here. Some align the shoe so that the shaft is centered in the thru hull and thats it. Problem with this is that the thru hull can very from one hull to the next. When I install a pump shoe I take lots of cross measurements from different points on the hull and also use a straight edge to achieve a straight line from the keel of the hull for a reference to determine the angle of the shoe. Kinda hard to explain but the key is to take lots of measurements and dont just rely on the thru hull a;though it should be centered when done if all is well. Ive seen too many people loose speed because of the angle of the shoe after installing and just centering to the thru hull.
    As for sealant, I have used "right stuff" and never had an issue.
    Teeth out seams to hook-up best.

+1
    Great input, thanks guys! I am also going to reinforce/epoxy resin the bottom of the new shoe before installing, kind of like Jason/Hydrojunkie did on his GTI project ski.

Grate? I have a R&D grate, Riva grate and stock grate, ride some calm, some rough water ... is there much difference between the R&D or Riva grates?

+1
    I just posted this exact same question in my build thread tonight...lol. Looks like I need to order the P shoe for mine as well. I found my rpm issue

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Great input, thanks guys! I am also going to reinforce/epoxy resin the bottom of the new shoe before installing, kind of like Jason/Hydrojunkie did on his GTI project ski.

Grate? I have a R&D grate, Riva grate and stock grate, ride some calm, some rough water ... is there much difference between the R&D or Riva grates?

The R&D Grates lose 1-2mph top end. The Riva is the faster grate for the RXP. It is my understanding that the R&D is faster on the X-boats.

+1
    Vern when I replaced my pump shoe I also epoxied the bottom void area. What I found out was that I had to remove some of the epoxy to be able to fit the R&D girdle.

So you may want to dry fit the girdle to see what you have to work with since they fit fairly tight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    The loctite 5900 is the best. Some use the 3m marine as well with the same results. I would leave the teeth in the pump shoe. Alignment is the same for the 4 tecs IMO! start without any shims on the pump shoe and adjust and shim accordingly to get an even distance around the alignment shaft. Measure using a small ruler with mm on it. Then shim the engine mounts to get it dialed in. Should take a few dry fits. I left the tool on while it set to get a true fit as the shoe cured. Just made sense to me.
    Get you a complete set of deep 1/4" drive sockets for measuring the distance between the thru hull fitting and the allignment shaft. Keep trying each socket after you get it close with measuring and eyballing. Once you get it close slip the socket (trying different sizes) in the gap and slide it around the allignment shaft. You can then feel any resistance. Once you get the shoe alligned properly the socket will slide around the tool with the same or no resistance. Easy to do and takes the guess work out of trying to measure.

And DO rely on the thru hull fitting for truness (this will eliminate unnessessary wear on the carbon seal. Once the shoe is alligned with the thru hull then you need to allign the engine by shimming as needed. Doing it this way elliminates ANY binding on the shaft thus eliminated engine drag.

+1
    Here is some more good reading on alligning the shoe. Pay close attention to page four as your reading. This was discussed in great detail with Master Jerry.

I don't agree with aligning it solely against the thru hull fitting. It should be aligned to the centerline of the keel in the horizontal axis, and to the thru-hull fitting in the vertical axis. If it is too far off in the horizontal for a good carbon seal, you might want to think about an alternate seal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information