Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Seized engine, GP1200R

Well, I guess it was due to happen sooner or later...been having low speed carb bogging all summer....Went out yesterday and the bomb dropped. Started it on the lift, revved it a bit too much thinking I was cleaning out the carbs (dumb mistake on a cold engine, knew better but had my boss up for the day and didn't want him having to feather the throttle to get it going...and before anyone says "don't let anyone ride your ski"...he's my boss and it's my only ski besides my Super-Jet, plus he's ridden before and it died before we even hit plane speed)

Anyway, he idles off and it dies. I hop on it, and it won't turn over, just clicking....I checked for weeds or maybe a rope around the shaft....nothing.

I get it started, and it's only running on 2 cylinders. I figure it's a fouled plug from the bogging...then I start to hear something in the cylinders, like a broken PV (even though it has PV clips, if they break off it doesn't prevent them from falling into the cylinders)....At that point I know something is wrong. It dies on me and won't turn over. I know it's seized (been there in the past to know when one seizes, just slows and dies)

Towed it back in to the dock, still no turn-over when hitting the start button...

dad was there and thinks with the metal sound it might be a broken PV, or even just a leaned-out cylinder. If it's a simple seizure he can hone the cylinder and we can buy a new piston. However, if a piece of the PV broke and fell into the cylinder it's a much bigger problem, especially if it got down into the crank-shaft....if that is the case, then it's a total rebuild. And if we (dad and I) are going to open it up that far, then I might as well bore it out to 1390 even though it's more $$$. That and the carbs def. need redone.

And another thing, recently in the past month I noticed after shutting down the engine the PVs would not uniformly close. Usually it's a sound just after engine cutoff, where you could hear the PVs close separately

Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    A quick compression test will confirm your suspicion. If the motor is bad, I would just buy a new SBT motor. Rebuilding the engine can add up quickly. Would be WAY easier to drop in a new engine. Better find out what caused this whole mess, or you'll be blowing one engine after the other! Most likely PVs, carbs, or oil lines.

+1
    Comp test to confirm. If lost cylinder take off head & post pics.

Tell boss to give you a raise to cover cost of repair since he broke it!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Comp test to confirm. If lost cylinder take off head & post pics.

Tell boss to give you a raise to cover cost of repair since he broke it!
    +1 If it want turn over pull the head. I would give the boss the guilt trip. (Man i cant believe you broke my ski probably have to do side jobs to fix it LOL)

+1
    Thanks....Dad and I will tear it down, comp test for sure (totally forgot about that) if we can get it to crank again. But it's going to need a total tear down b/c of the carb issues. They need cleaned/rejetted. And the PVs probably need replaced. But a new engine is probably the best way to go, especially if something got into the crankcase

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgww View Post
    Thanks....Dad and I will tear it down, comp test for sure (totally forgot about that) if we can get it to crank again. But it's going to need a total tear down b/c of the carb issues. They need cleaned/rejetted. And the PVs probably need replaced. But a new engine is probably the best way to go, especially if something got into the crankcase
    I think the 1390 idea is the way to go. i dont think you will regret it. and if you can spare the money go ahead and send your carbs to black jack im still waiting on mine to get back hopefully next week.

+1
    If I recall correctly you've been trying to keep up with your dad's ski. Do not buy an SBT motor if you are going to mod it. The sleeved cylinders will not stand the heat if you shave head, bump up rpm's, etc..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    If I recall correctly you've been trying to keep up with your dad's ski. Do not buy an SBT motor if you are going to mod it. The sleeved cylinders will not stand the heat if you shave head, bump up rpm's, etc..
    Thanks for the tip....even the premium engines they sell?

+1
    I would ask SBT directly to make sure but I believe they sleeve them all.

+1
    I want to think one of the cylinders is sleeved to begin with. I bought it used last summer and the previous knucklehead who owned it told me they had seized it. The "marina" we bought it from did a piss poor repair job on it, we had to fix some things (using half a washer on the cylinder/exhaust mount, other various bad stuff)
    Thinking more about it, my theory is that the low speed jets on one of the carbs was bad enough that it leaned out the cylinder. Combine that with the PVs not closing properly, and I am afraid that a piece of the PV in question might have dropped into the engine, which totally sucks! We will find out more though, didn't have time to look at it Monday.

What really sucks is it's just late enough in the summer here in Indiana that unless we work quickly it won't be done before the end of the season. FML

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information