Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'05 Honda Turbo - sluggish

My turbo was running flawlessly and now it is hit or miss. It will easily run 30-35 mph; sometimes a little more but usually when you push it bogs down and sounds like it is missing or something like that. It seems more prominent when it is warmed up and ridden for a few minutes. The first thing my dealer told me was to check the plugs. I've also read a lot in forums on the turbo; WGS and/or actuator arm that may be stuck and need lubricating. Also read something about spraying lubricant into the turbo through a small hole??? I need some advice...the more detail the better as I'm hoping to figure this out myself as my local dealer closed and the one I spoke to is about 3 hours away! Thank you.

+1
    Man almost sounds like u have a fuel problem like the injectors r not spraying like they should . Or fuel pressure isn't what it would be. If it was a turbo issue it would go 45-55 (5000rpm ish) and wouldnt studder down low,since turbo don't realy affect throttle around idle.
    I know I probably just sent u in a completely different dirrection than u were thinking u would go.
    Get on pwctoday. And ask those guys theirs a large support group in there

The other thing the dealer said was to treat the fuel with Sea Foam. It does jump out of the hole - wouldn't it hesitate from the start if there were injector issues? Thanks for replying...

+1
    That's not a bad idea. U sure its only goin 30s? Next ride check rpm on launch and topend .
    Before the ride remove air inlet to turbo and stick Ur finger inside and see if u can turn/giggle turbine wheel .
    it should spin freely as if it was on glass and not rattle.A stuck turbo will keep u from getting any rpm since motor will have to pull air thru it.
    It's its poor fuel that could also be the issue if turbo checks out.

Thanks - good info. I'm not well versed on the engine components. Can you give me an idea where the turbo (air inlet) would be? Is it on the front or back of the engine? Opposite the spark plugs? One other forum also mentioned something about the actuator arm for the turbo sticking...saying it was common for Hondas??? Is this arm visible or do you need to dig into the turbo to find it? Thanks again - I appreciate the help!

+1
    You might have one of the large hoses blown off the intercooler or turbo outlet.

jlfx car audio -

Could you help me understand where the air inlet to the turbo sits? Back / front of the engine? Left side / right side? I haven't done much under the seat on this unit...sorry for my ignorance! It did check out the WGS which checked out fine. Thanks!

+1
    Ok pull seat off (and rear panel if its a R) and u can see turbo between engine and back of ski.
    The exhaust side is on right side (big side of unit) and the intake side is on left side ,its the aluminum portion of the turbo.
    There r 2 hookups one on top of (this is Ur intercooler tube . The other is on side of turbo in center and has a plastic tube hooked to it... This is the clamp/tube u need to remove to access compressor wheel for check...
    The wga is the crome valve on rear exhaust side of turbo and it pushes the rod to open and close wastegate . Attempt tp push rod twards front of ski it should move about 1/4-1/2" and have just a but of resistance but should be smooth check those and get back to us.

Good info - I will check it out this weekend; thanks!

The turbo wheel spun freely. The wga rod moved back & forth albeit with some resistance - I used pliers because the rod was a little greasy; you could hear the vacuum in the housing as it moved back and forth. Tried the same thing on my other turbo which runs fine and it was the same.

I believe everything checks out OK - I'm hoping new plugs make the difference...I will know tomorrow! thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information