Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to adjust carbs

well, i finally got my SL900 to run after having alot of ignition problem. I got to take it out this weekend. I think it is running either rich or lean. From takeoff, it has a really bad bog. If it turn to the left and rock the ski to the left it will all of a sudden take off. But anytime i try to turn to the right it will bog down. When it does take off, it runs very smooth and quick. So, im assuming that the reason it is doing this is because the jetting is off. Im new to jetskis, and 2 strokes. So how do i go about adjusting the carbs...like where is the high speed screw, and low speed screw?

and ive tried using the search thing on this forum, and cant get that to do only Polaris info.

hope someone can help! thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    Ther eis no high speed screw. On the keihin carbs its all done through jet changes. Does it fall flat on its face when you hit the gas or does it spit and sputter until it goes? if its sputtering and clears out, its rich. Apply the choke and see if that makes it better or worse. If the choke helps its lean. Also verify that your accel pump is working. Looking down the carb throats when you squeeze the throttle hard, you should see fuel shooting down into the carbs. You can check that with the engine off. Also check that you have the proper jets in the carbs.

it will spit and spudder at about 3400 RPM and then after like 500 feet it will all of a sudden take off. or like i said if i turn left it will take off right away. i think i read somewhere online that if you tip to one side, and it runs right its lean, and if you tip to the other side and runs its rich. I dont remember exactly where it was.

I tried taking off the intake and just revving it a little and it bogged instantly, that would mean that it is lean right? and with the choke, i tried that and it just died. really weird.

im assuming this thing has stock jets in it. ive never changed them and it was totally stock when i got it. now i have Wiseco 913cc pistons. So it would make sense that it is lean, needing more gas right?

As far as the accelerator pump goes, when i hit the throttle, it does have a short burst of gas but wont shoot any out again until i let go of the throttle. is that how that is supposed to be?

and last, what jets appx. should i have in there? like i said i have the Wiseco 913cc pistons and i believe they are stock compression. I use Shell v-power 93 octane gas.

sorry for the crazy long post, this is just a total new learning experience for me, ive been into 4 stroke quads for the last 6 years.

+1
    Did you take the carbs apart for inspection/cleaning? If the carb is clogged, little adjustments here and there won't do a squat.
    Also, does it still have grey tempo fuel lines? These lines are not ethanol safe, they gum up the carb, need to be replaced.

No i haven't taken off the carbs to clean. But when i take them off the check the size of the main jets i am for sure going to go thru them. Im assuming the fuel lines have been changed. They are black. Anyone have an idea of wat size the stock jets should be? Thanks a bunch!

+1
    1996/7 sl900
    High m 138 | c 140 | p 135
    Mid #65
    Low #60
    Low screw 5/8
    Pop 20-24
    Idle 1250-1300

ok so if the jets are 138, 140, 135 then i should probably go up to like....142,144,139 or close to that? and being that my bog is right at the bottom of the RPMs should i get a bigger low jet maybe? i wish i knew more about these 2 stroke tripples

thanks for the replies!

+1
    I had same bog problem on mine SLX, turned out it was membrane gasket that wasn't sealed properly in one of the fuel pumps. So, while you're at it, disassemble and clean the fuel pumps as well. Also check pulse lines make sure there're good pulses.
    It's always safe to go rich first lean out later, but my guess is that your problem is in the fuel pumps and stock jettings should work just fine.

Here's the link to my problem for your reference:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...00-piston-wash

What exactly are the pulse lines?

+1
    The 2 hoses that connect from engine to the fuel pumps, they should be cleared not clogged up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information