What year XP should I get?

I am going to be buying my first ski and after doing some research I found that the XP's are a crowd favorite. I have found several online and I am not sure which is the best as far as years go. I was looking at some 1995 and 1996 models, are these reliable models and which year is the best?

Also, where can I go to learn about maintenance. I can take them to a mechanic but I want to be able to perform basic maintenance myself.

Thanks for your help!

Race City USA -- Mooresville, NC (Lake Norman)

where are you located?

Ohio, I found some on Craigslist for around $1750 which I am sure I can talk down to $1500 or less

95 with the 800 (but very rare so lost cause), avoid the other 95's cuz they have the 720 engine, you want the 787 engine.
    2nd choice is 96... as far as fun factor, they rock.
    I did own the newer hull, a 2001 XPL and i sold it to get a 96 787, and i regret nothing !
    (well, i did lose some storage space which is annoying but it was worth it)
    $12-$1500 with trailer is a fair price if good condition $1500-1800 in GREAT condition, but fair warning, hope for the best and assume the worst when buying on Craigslist,, i bought mine for $1200 no trailer with a spec1 otherwise stock and had i NOT torn it down completely before taking it out on its first test ride it would definitely have seized up on me in the first 15 minutes the entire engine was full of dirty nasty gritty gunk! so buyer beware !!!
    oh.. and enjoy the ski.. and don't plan on more than 35-40 miles on a tank (assuming you have the 9 gallon) this is not a fuel efficient ski.

to learn about maintenance, repair,, well, your here.. this is the right place. !

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I happen to be rather fond of the 97 gtx myself....

+1
    I have had two 95 xp 720. The first one had over 500 hr on it and still ran good when I sold it. Also have rode 91 mile until running out of gas. Not bad on fuel too. Pretty good engine that why I pick up another one a few years back. It is only 85 hp and the 785 motor 110 hp. I think if I was to do it over now I would get a 785 motor. But 5 years ago they were harder to find or they wanted to much for them. Now every ones giving them away.

excellent points, nothing wrong with the 720's, just not as "peppy", but they sure did run a long time on a tank of gas ! I had a 96 GTI for a short while and although it lacked a little as far as fun factor, and I got passed by everyone, but I never had to top off.

The GTX, had the 787 in it, and actually handled really well, turned great, just didn't jump very high.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I have had two 95 xp 720. The first one had over 500 hr on it and still ran good when I sold it. Also have rode 91 mile until running out of gas. Not bad on fuel too. Pretty good engine that why I pick up another one a few years back. It is only 85 hp and the 785 motor 110 hp. I think if I was to do it over now I would get a 785 motor. But 5 years ago they were harder to find or they wanted to much for them. Now every ones giving them away.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I happen to be rather fond of the 97 gtx myself....
    While it's still light compared to new skis, that's not what the OP is looking for.

My GTX feels like an XP compared to my RXT-X but that doesn't count

96. If you can wait til winter, you can get a great deal. I paid 2k for a 96xp (fresh from the world finals) with every concievable upgrade.

Thread Information