+1

How would bad reeds affect ski?

Gone through about everything but reeds trying to fix a 153 hour 98 XL1200.
    Been through carbs, (not full rebuild, just cleaned & replaced what looked bad), just did top end, impellor & wear ring ok.
    After break-in max's out at 40 mph/5600 rpm with seat on. Seat off it will hit 48 at almost 6000 rpm.
    Must have an exhaust leak somewhere. (How do you find those if you can't see with naked eye?)
    Could reeds be the problem or should I do a full Mikuni kit rebuild on carbs?
    It ran 52 mph when I put it away last fall, hasn't run right at all this year.

+1
    Do a compression test to see where u at currently. With bad reed it will affect your engine check your reed for worn or damage reed and replace if needed and then do a compression test... on the carb just replace what's needed...

+1
    To check the reeds without pulling the carbs. pull air box crank engine rev the engine wile holding your hand close to the carbs NOT choking them if its spitting gas and compression back through the carbs on your hand you have a bad reed. if its only suction your OK.

if your riding with the seat off and have no exhaust coming out of the engine compartment its probably not leaking exhaust besides most of the time you have an exhaust leak it leaks water too.

+1
    Comp is 107, 105, 105. Almost identical to readings before top end. Chrispaintballz told me comp was ok and that it was something else. Should have listened to his experience but at least now I'm practiced at zip-tying rings and setting 3 pistons at once vs the easy single-jug-at-a-time gpr's & xlt's.

Why an 8 mph difference with seat off if I can't see an exhaust leak?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Comp is 107, 105, 105. Almost identical to readings before top end. Chrispaintballz told me comp was ok and that it was something else. Should have listened to his experience but at least now I'm practiced at zip-tying rings and setting 3 pistons at once vs the easy single-jug-at-a-time gpr's & xlt's.

Why an 8 mph difference with seat off if I can't see an exhaust leak?
    Thats a big difference. with the seat off you are getting better air flow. i guess you already checked the air inlets to make sure their not restricted.

+1
    If you have an exhaust leak, then there should be some oil (from the smoke) coming out as well. Rub your hands ALL the way around your exhaust joints/couplings to check for that excess oil.

I found an exhaust leak by accident one night by using a flashlight. The gas was escaping out of a bellows on my 1200 engine. It was very slight, but the wind direction was blowing the exhaust away from the boat, and when I looked into the hull, it was obvious because I could see the smoke with the light. When I put the boat to bed in the garage, it was then that I noticed the tell tale signs of oil leaking there at the bellows as well.

+1
    Only one hull air entrance, 3" round under seat and it is clear. You did get me thinking though, where does the combustion air come from? The carb cover is entirely sealed. My other skis have openings in carb cover and/or air filter. I never thought about it till now.

+1
    The air comes in from under the air box. I believe i would do the total carb rebuild with new mikuni carb kits and set everything to spec. popoff,high,low screws.

+1
    I agree, use a flashlight to find the exhaust leak. Maybe park it in a garage with the back of the ski pointing out an open garage door. That should shelter is a little bit from the wind and might make it easier to spot. If it ran fine last year and acts like an exhaust leaking into the hull this year, maybe the waterbox froze up and cracked.

Thread Information