93 sl650 satic timing??

I'm about at my end with this Checked timing tonight..T.D.C .075 past t.d.c mark assuming t.d.c is center of 6 marks on flywheel.So my next ? is is this a crank problem ... a backyard mech.(I'm not much better) worked on this before stator ended its time...I put engine and new stator in (bought it in box) along with everthing in sig. and now running with 120 comp. but can't get out and haul the mail. Should be at .079 btdc thats along way from home as it stands now..according to polaris manual any thoughts, Nate

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar2256 View Post
    I'm about at my end with this Checked timing tonight..T.D.C .075 past t.d.c mark assuming t.d.c is center of 6 marks on flywheel.So my next ? is is this a crank problem ... a backyard mech.(I'm not much better) worked on this before stator ended its time...I put engine and new stator in (bought it in box) along with everthing in sig. and now running with 120 comp. but can't get out and haul the mail. Should be at .079 btdc thats along way from home as it stands now..according to polaris manual any thoughts, Nate
    Static timing is primarily applicable to the domestic engines. Setting timing on a FUji engine should only involve aligning the punch mark on the stator with the case halves. If you did that, timing should be set. However, you can dynamically check the timing advance.

You're not quite finding TDC correctly so that's probably part of your frustration.

To do this absolutely correct you need a dial indicator that screws into the spark plug hole. But, it's possible if you can get any dial indicator that you can hold firmly inside the hole.

1) Insert dial indicator in the plug hole
    2) Turn the driveshaft coupler counter clockwise until the dial stops and begins to go in the opposite direction. Once you find this gently turn the coupler just barely back and forth until you find the dead spot where the indicator doesn't move.
    3) Zero the indicator then turn the coupler clockwise a couple of thousandths more than the published 0.079 BTDC.
    4) Turn the coupler counter clockwise until you reach that 0.079.
    5) In the flywheel inspection hole you'll see an arrow and it should be on a set of marks on the flywheel. Use a whiteout pen and put a mark on the flywheel right in line with that timing mark arrow.
    6) While in the water connect a timing light, run the engine at 3,000RPM and shine the light in the inspection hole. At this engine speed you should be at maximum timing advance and that mark you made should line up exactly with the arrow.

If the timing mark is to the starboard side of the arrow it means your timing is retarded. If it's to the port side your timing is too advanced. If either condition exists it means you'll have to pull the flywheel and adjust the stator plate to change the timing.

KJ

thanks thats what I did last night (held indicator in mag cly. to find tdc)and results were that at tdc i'm approx. .075 past tdc on flywheel. thats why I'm wondering if crank is out of phase cause timing marks do not line up at tdc...... and as far as stator yes I think I went "neutral " on marks at the split.Nate

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar2256
    at tdc i'm approx. .075 past tdc on flywheel.
    Is there a TDC mark on the flywheel? I didn't think there was one on any of the flywheels, just a series of embossed hash marks. Is it possible that mark on the flywheel is BTDC?

The procedure I outlined above is to make a spot on the flywheel to indicate maximum spark advance for a dynamic timing check. That spot is 18*(0.079") Before TDC . That is the point in the timing curve where at 3,000RPM your CDI is delivering maximum spark advance. So yes, if you rotate the piston to TDC, that mark on the flywheel will not line up with the indicator arrow on the timing cover.

Have you checked crank index? The cheap man's way of doing this is to find exact TDC on the MAG cylinder. Then you can put some kind of measuring device in the spark plug hole of CEN and PTO to measure from the top of the head to the top of the piston in each jug. I prefer to use a caliper for this test. Repeat this with each cylinder at TDC. All three cylinders should have the same measurements if the crank is in phase.

If you have a timing light, try to perform the dynamic timing test at 3,000RPM. If that is spot on and your crank index looks good then you should be okay. If you don't get a good result for dynamic timing I suggest you remove the flywheel and check to see if the woodruff key is possibly sheared.

KJ

yes there are 6 scribe lines on flywheel.I assume when mag. is tdc I should be center on those marks. Well i'm .075 after marks.(Thats why I'm ? crank phase) My next problem is tach. no display on 93 and tach. The oneI have does not read a 3cyl. 2 stroke accurately http://www.trailtech.net/ I'm in the dark here also. I would like to just know what it takes to get this done. Special tools are in my budget .the only shop that will work on this is 1 hour away and $80 a hour...I can buy alot of tooling for that $$ thanks, Nate

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar2256 View Post
    Yep, that's exactly how I've done it. It's the exact, perfect way to check crank phase, but it will give you a definitely yes or no if it's out significantly.

KJ

Thread Information