+1

Rave valve removal and cleaning....

Who has a link to the best DIY Rave Valve write up? I've seen a bunch but never saved them and now that want to do it I can't find them ...
    Post here please and thank you

+1
    what engine do you have?

+1
    he has the 951

+1
    Yes sorry ...99 951

to remove and clean the R.A.V.E valves do the following:

1. put your thumb on the red cap (or whatever colour yours is) push down as it is spring loaded and whilst you do this, with the other hand, slide the metal bar clip over the rave cap.

2. slowly release your thumb-cushioning all pressure from spring and remove cap and spring.

3. remove the clip.

4. undo the two little allen head bolts with a m5 allen wrench and place to the side.

5. pull out the rave valve from cylinder block.

6. hold the valve part and with a 12mm (i think its a 12mm) loosen the little plastic looking bolt head-you only have to do it a little.

7. push down the plastic end and unscrew the valve and remove the valve shaft.

8. remove the little rubber o-ring from valve shaft.

9. remove the large rubber gasket on the base of the valve housing.

10. remove the large spring from the green bellow.

11. remove the plastic housing (carefully as there is another spring underneath this and remove also) you used to unscrew the valve.

12. pull the green bellow-do not remove the springattachment from base of green bellow.

13. remove the little plastic washer and o-ring from housing.

14. with a clean cloth/material/rag, clean all plastic and rubber bits (including rave cap) with this-do not use break/carb cleaner as this will cause them to perish and fail!!

15. with carb cleaner and a wire brush clean your valve and shaft and valve housing (make sure you spray your carb cleaner in the vaccum pipe of the housing!).

now to put it all back together again!

16. place your little o-ring back on the shaft of your valve.

17. put the rubber gasket back into the base of the housing.

18. put the little green rubber o-ring into the housing and place the plastic washer on top with the curve side up!

19. push on the large green below (still with spring in tact at bottom of bellow-as this keeps in place)

20. put the little spring on top of the plastic washer.

21. carefully clip the plastic housing/casing into green bellow making sure the spring is in line with the bit you used to unscrew valve.

22. now go grab 3 coins i use 2p coins as im in the uk, so long as they arent too thick you should be fine using an alternative in your currency.

23. place coins between green bellow and valve housing in a triangle shape causing the green bellow to raise slightly.

24. this should now have made your life easier with the large spring, might take you a couple of go's but put the spring clip back onto the green bellow-this keeps the plastic housing on the green bellow.

25. remove the coins!!!!!

26. pushing on the plastic housing now attached to valve housing, screw the vavle into the housing all the way in.

27. tighten the plastic nut again of the plastic housing-do not over tighten though-this is to just stop the valve when fully extended coming out past the stopper on housing.

28. clean the ports where the valve is going back into on the cylinder block with a rag.

29. put the rave valve back into port-it can only go one way!!

30. put the allen bolts back in and tighten.

31. put the metal clip onto its catches.

32. put the spring in the rave cap and carefully put the cap back onto the valve housing and slide the metal clip over the cap!!

and thats it-its real easy and shouldnt take more than 15mins for each valve.

any problems hit me up.

+1
    Thanks a lot ! And i guess I should replace any damaged or old looking o rings or gaskets ?

yes for sure-but will be suprised if anything needs replacing.

hope that info has helped-dont think i missed anything

+1
    Thanks, hope to get to it this weekend ..I'll keep posted in my other thread that is the reason I'm looking for a problem somewhere..

What should you do if your valve is frozen up and won’t come out? I’m trying to rebuild my 01’ 951 which is locked up but the valves are totally frozen and won’t budge making it impossible to remove the cylinders.

Thread Information