Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to do? - BUSTED PISTON

Should I get a new piston/clinder? Or just screw it and go get a new jet ski??
    Been running on two cylinders the last few lake trips and I'm cancelling the trip today.
    Just found this today and it pissed me off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565[1].jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	248296

If anyone has any of the pistons/cylinders or a jet ski for sale, message me.

Banned User
    +1
    Replace it. Check to make sure the crank and bearings arent damaged. Check crank index as well. You will spend less fixing this one than you will buying another ski that could blow up tomorrow. Get this one fixed up right and you should be good to go for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Replace it. Check to make sure the crank and bearings arent damaged. Check crank index as well. You will spend less fixing this one than you will buying another ski that could blow up tomorrow. Get this one fixed up right and you should be good to go for years to come.
    I'll do just that. Also the 3-outlet fuel pump wasn't installed but it looks like it didn't "burn" a hole in the cylinder. See what happen was I was riding around the lake pulling a tube. This is a 3-seater jet ski, so I'm legal. And all of a sudden It died, but it cranked back up. After starting I soon found that it was running 25 mph when a minute ago it ran 40-50 mph. So that explains that.

Also, this piston is the only one beat up before putting the other cylinder in, what should I do tuning wise?

you should probly rebuild ur carbs and install a three output fuel pump, because it looks like your piston burned up from being too lean, and what did u mean by burn a hole in the carburator?

Quote Originally Posted by g.willits View Post
    you should probly rebuild ur carbs and install a three output fuel pump, because it looks like your piston burned up from being too lean, and what did u mean by burn a hole in the carburator?
    Carbs were rebuilt not too long ago. Along with the auto-cock take out. When looking at these pistons the MEG is black, the CEN is somewhat black, the PTO is not black at all, it's all beat up and got a hole in it. It's kinda like gas is not getting to the PTO.

+1
    If you ran it long enough on two cylinders the carbon may have washed off from the raw fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    If you ran it long enough on two cylinders the carbon may have washed off from the raw fuel?
    What do you mean? And this does not have the 3-output fuel pump...

+1
    You said in you first post that you had been running it on two cylinders "the last few lake trips"? Did you run it a while after burning the piston? If so the fuel would still enter the cylinder and wash the carbon off.
    I may have missunderstood.
    All so Im assuming you have a 3 cylinder engine?

it sounds like all your pistons are lean, so when the first holed and you ran it for a while there was still fuel going into that cylinder, the raw fuel that doesnt get burned then washed the black carbon off your piston, you need a fuel pump upgrade then some carb tuning, to get your wash right

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information