Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Race City USA -- Mooresville, NC (Lake Norman)

96 XP Compression 160 and 40

The past week, I have had all types of issues with my 2 96 XP's

My buddy was riding the XP I have up for sale for about 2 hours and then it just kept stalling.
    He would start it up and go about 200 yards and then it would die (he did this for 2 miles to get back to the dock)
    I got on it, started it up and it ran like crap and sounded like a can of beans.
    I did a compression test last night and was 160 in the front and 40 in the rear.
    Also, the cylinders were dry and with the plug removed (black as hell) there was no fuel spitting out while I was turning it over.

So, I said screw it and wanted to get it running anyway.... I changed the plugs and used starting fluid (sprayed into the carbs) to get it going.
    After a few attempts I got it to fire up but only until the ether ran out.
    A few more times starting it and got it to stay running... finally getting fuel again.
    Now it sounds fine????
    I know when I take it to the lake and put it under load it will probably stall but I am hoping something minor could cause this.

Is there a gasket that could fail causing the low 2nd cylinder compression?
    I know the motor needs torn down but I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction on what I will find and what I probably need to do to fix it.

Thanks for any help

+1
    your motor is blown up, don't run it like this. you need a top end and to figure out how it blew up.

So pull the head, get a top end kit and check the 2nd cylinder???

What a crappy week..... new transmission for wife's car, new A/C unit for the house and now this.......

What's this thing worth as it sits?

yes, your looking at a top end, hopefully the crank is fine,
    it was probably heating up and sticking every time it stalled, and he/u made it worse by continuing to ride it without diagnosing the problem, the first, or at least the 2nd time it locked up would have been the time to grab a tow rope and take her back to shore.
    worth, "as is",, maybe $5-700 depending on how good of a salesman you are.
    we'll keep on the look out in NC for a 96 xp for sale "needs battery, $1100" and avoid

Quote Originally Posted by customcruiser View Post
    So pull the head, get a top end kit and check the 2nd cylinder???

What a crappy week..... new transmission for wife's car, new A/C unit for the house and now this.......

What's this thing worth as it sits?

Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    we'll keep on the look out in NC for a 96 xp for sale "needs battery, $1100" and avoid
    Haha...

I was trying to come up with a good description to reel in a sucker...

lol I remembered to add something...

1) never ever ever ever ride a ski thats for sale,,, if its running right, take it out of the water, wax it, shine up the trailer tires, and it SITS there waiting for a buyer.... the next guy that puts it in the water will own it...
    I sell a few ski's here and there and I'm always getting a call from a buddy that says,, "hey, you've got a second ski, can we take both out and you let me ride for awhile?" i answer the same every time,, "NO WAY, its for sale, its running great, and I want to keep it that way"

2) if you need a real sleazy way to get rid of it, and boy, this is sleazy... and this assumes it runs on the trailer and sounds good (duly noted i would NEVER do this), but sign the title, and have your wife post an ad that says "Seadoo For sale, cheap !" and in the description put "azzhole husband moved out, and I want this dam thing gone !, First $900 takes it "

there was a CL ad, listed just like this up in New York i think a couple weeks ago and we got a good laugh about it, and then somebody suggested "wow,, what a nifty way to sell a questionable ski and eliminate 99% of the standard buyers concerns"

+1
    I'll give you $200 for it

Looks like a top end kit is less than $300 (or less than $200 on ebay) so I'll fix it and sell it... or trade it for a 3 seater (for the wife and kids and something to pull me wakeskating)

Question now is... do I order a stock kit or wait to see if the cylinder needs bored and how do I know if it needs bored? I'm guessing there is a tool for that...
    I should purchase the kit prior to the machining so they can match the pistons?
    I want it to the stock specs so I don't have to do anything extra.

Also, should I worry about the front cylinder since the compression is 160?

Sorry for all the questions but If I'm gonna do it I wanna do it right.

The guy that was riding it is begging me to sell it to him for $500.

This ski is in awesome condition (except for the motor) as far as I can tell, the engine/carbs have never been taken apart.
    Last edited by customcruiser; 08-07-2011 at 01:09 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by customcruiser View Post

This ski is in awesome condition (except for the motor) as far as I can tell, the engine/carbs have never been taken apart.

]
    So that means the fuel lines were never changed?

A 15 year old machine and the carbs have never been cleaned. You found why it blew.

+1
    So its gonna need fuel lines, top end, and carb rebuild kit. you need to pull the top end, measure it and see how far it needs to be bored to, then you order a top end kit. I wouldn't use anything other than pro x pistons. A good machine shop will need the pistons to bore the cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information