unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar

Maiden voyage of my project FX140 was great!

Picked up a project FX140 late last year, for free , however I would learn that there is no such thing as a free jetski .
    It had sat in salt and needed a little work. By the time I got it the: shaft, impeller housing, impeller, and a bunch of other stuff were missing. Word was it seized up, and they took it to the dealer, didn't like the price and took it home. There it sat for a few yrs until they got tired of looking at it. They ended up just giving it to me.
    The kicker, its a 2003 and it had 24 hrs on it when they gave it to me .
    I ended up having issues with the ride plate inserts, and had to cut them and all the old glue out. Thanks to several threads and comments on this forum I was able to get the job done. I put in the new style ride plate inserts. I gotta say, I never want to mess with that again, what a PITA.

Anyway, the ski ran great! Handles pretty good, though I need to adjust the rodor whatever for the steering. It turns way better to the right than it does to the left.
    Seems quick enough, speedo read about 53-55 as I expected (though it jumps around).
    It keeps up with my dad's new Sea-Doo GTIse 130s, but I think mine is a little quicker off the line.

All in all, I really love the ski, its great for just cruising around the lake. I'm not trying to win any races I just want to get out there and have fun
    Total investment including the double ski trailer is about $1500 so far. That'll probably go up, as the seat has a few dry rot cracks in it so it'll need to be recovered, and the gellcoat needs to be touched up in a few spots [made the mistake of trying a heat gun when replacing the deck mats ]

thanks to all those who posted up tips and advice

unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Rode around some more this afternoon, still great. Its down just a little on top speed from the Sea-Doos, so they walk away as the speeds get higher. And if you put them in "sport mode" I can't keep up LOL

Now I'm thinking Riva air filter thing and some other bolt on go fast bits to get my speed up a little. I keep saying I just wanna get out there and cruise around, but I can't help myself, I gotta go fast

so what are some easy ways I can get just a little more speed out of my FX140?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Congrats! It sounds like your hard work is paying off

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    Now I'm thinking Riva air filter thing and some other bolt on go fast bits to get my speed up a little. I keep saying I just wanna get out there and cruise around, but I can't help myself, I gotta go fast

so what are some easy ways I can get just a little more speed out of my FX140?
    You're on the right track; the factory air filter on the FX-140 clogs up with oil really easy and it robs performance more and more as time goes by. Get rid of it and replace it with the Riva Power Filter and Velocity Stack Kit and you should be good for about 56 mph on GPS. (speedo is not accurate, get a baseline with a GPS unit before you start your mods). You should see a 2-3 mph difference after you install these parts. Here's a link to the store:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=166

Thread Information