95 750 sxi runing hot and only on one cylinder

Hey everyone, I've got a pretty weird problem going on right now. I just rebuilt this engine, complete new top end, new crank seals, etc. I'm having two problems

One is that the engine gets really hot. I mean hot enough to the point where the spark plugs burn your hand after you touch them from just idling around. I don't know why, I made a solid effort to clean out the water intake system, unless there's something seriously clogging the pump. The water is coming out of the pisser on the front port side of the boat just fine, nice and steady. Does the 750 sxi have a limp mode?

The second thing is that the front cylinder isn't firing. I don't know, the plugs look like they're not getting a lot of fuel. The rear one looks fine, but the front is staying cooler but the plug is dry.

Does anyone have any ideas on why it isn't running? And is this engine supposed to get that hot? I'm gonna take a look at the jet in a little bit but the engine is too hot right now to work with.

Thanks

On the front cylinder: Did you check spark? Did you check compression? Is the compression high enough? When was the last time you cleaned/rebuilt the carb? Could be debris blocking something or something wore out.

I don't know about the temperature. I know on dirt bikes with 2 strokes, idling is pretty much the worst thing for them, because they are not getting air flow through the radiators. Don't know on jet ski though, could have the same principle.

There's spark and compression but it looks like there's not a lot of fuel. We just rebuilt the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    The second thing is that the front cylinder isn't firing. I don't know, the plugs look like they're not getting a lot of fuel. The rear one looks fine, but the front is staying cooler but the plug is dry.
    Does the motor start and run? How do you know the front cylinder isn't firing? I'm a little confused. Which plug is dry, the front one?

The motor runs. The front plug looked pretty dry when I looked at it to check for spark. There's got to be something wrong with the diaphragm or something. I'm going to look tomorrow, that's just about the only thing it could be.

A dry plug usually would indicate that the fuel is burning completely which means it is doing what it is supposed to. If it wasn't burning the plug would be soaked with fuel. You do not want it to be wet with fuel or oil (at least on the electrode). A wet plug that is burning usually means it is running rich and will eventually oil foul.

If it is a new plug and by dry you mean it is still white on the electrode, then you may have a lack of fuel problem or it may be running lean. Do you have or can you take some pictures of the plugs and post them? What color are the electrodes?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfury View Post
    A dry plug usually would indicate that the fuel is burning completely which means it is doing what it is supposed to. If it wasn't burning the plug would be soaked with fuel. You do not want it to be wet with fuel or oil (at least on the electrode). A wet plug that is burning usually means it is running rich and will eventually oil foul.

If it is a new plug and by dry you mean it is still white on the electrode, then you may have a lack of fuel problem or it may be running lean. Do you have or can you take some pictures of the plugs and post them? What color are the electrodes?
    The electrode in the one that's running is dry and black. The electrode on the one that's not running is white. I took the carbs apart today and the one that's running is full of oil. The other one had a ton of fuel on the outside of the diaphragm.

I just ordered two carb rebuild kits, I hope I didn't sieze it again riding it yesterday.

Didn't you just rebuild the carbs? The diaphragms should be fine as long as they don't have tears or holes in them.

I am not familiar with your exact ski, so I don't know what kind of carb you have, but if the diaphragms look fine, you should probably take a look at the check valves and the diaphram in the fuel pump (if it is a carb mounted fuel pump). Make sure they have tension and are fully against the hole and not open. I had one inside the fuel pump (the part the manual says not to open, but I found no harm in opening it) that was not sealed and had no tension against the hole. I just flexed the metal piece a hair to give it tension again and it was sucking fuel like no tomorrow.

Good luck! let us know what you find.

I rebuilt the carbs and both cylinders are running, but I gave it a little test drive and came home and it was fine. So I went to my buddy's house a few miles away, and I take the hood off to check how the engine is and the oil lines are full of air and barely any oil. It was so overheated it distorted the color on the head and made it look brown.

It still runs, I was running premix alongside the injector to break it in, so I think everything is OK. I ran it pretty rich.

It's overheating like crazy now when it's running on the lake. On the hose it stays ice cold. Running on the lake just idling around, the engine got hot enough so that splashing water on it would make the water sizzle. No other ski I own does that and it doesn't seem right at all.

I believe you are supposed to prime the oil lines when reassembling the carb.

I am not the expert on how the cooling systems work. I have not had to do any work on them. If it stays cool on the hose and not in the water, I would suspect it has something to do with the intake where it gets water from. You may want to check and see if this is clogged or something. This model does not have an intercooler, otherwise I would say it might be in need of a cleaning.

Thread Information