solenoid clicking

Had a 93 sl 650 that was running just fine. Was getting ready to head out to lake and decided to make sure it would fire up before we took off. It turned over several times but never fired. Then it stopped turning over and the starter solenoid in the box just clicks. I checked the connections, tried two different batteries (which tested good) and even swapped out the solenoid with a different one that was working. Ground on bottom of hull is good. Any other ideas?

Based upon k447's post in this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=solenoid it appears that I have a bad connection at the starter or bad starter motor. Crap. I'm getting more than 12 volts at the cable from the solenoid to the starter when cranking.

Make sure your battery is good. Give it a good charge and see what it does. You can have good voltage and not enough nuts (amps) behind it if the battery had a cell go out.

I'm sure the battery is good. I even tried running jumper cables from my car battery.

Quote Originally Posted by josh22 View Post
    I'm sure the battery is good. I even tried running jumper cables from my car battery.
    If you still read the battery voltage on the starter side of the solenoid when attempting to start the engine and there is NO RESPONSE from the starter then either the connection to the starter is bad or the starter itself is not functioning. Also check your ground wire from the battery to the engine and make sure that it is a good connection.

Quote Originally Posted by ki5pm View Post
    If you still read the battery voltage on the starter side of the solenoid when attempting to start the engine and there is NO RESPONSE from the starter then either the connection to the starter is bad or the starter itself is not functioning. Also check your ground wire from the battery to the engine and make sure that it is a good connection.
    There is no response from the starter. I haven't torn it apart yet to see for sure, but I can reach up to the connection at the starter and it feels tight (there is no play at all). The ground from the battery to the bottom of the hull is also very tight and clean.

Sounds like you need to replace or rebuild your starter. I had one go bad on my Kawasaki last year. It was intermittent. Replaced the brushes, cleaned up the comutator and has worked perfectly ever since.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.

Thread Information