Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What order to do GP800R Mods?

Ok, my question is, in what order is it best to do mods to my 20002 GP800R? Keep in mind that I am not looking to dump an s-load of money into it.

I allready have the Riva pump seal kit installed and just picked up the Riva Performance Pump Cone (got it for $15). I plan on going with the freeflow exhaust mod as well as it seems to be a popular mod with some results.

Right now I want to concentrate on pump \ handling mods. I have looked at items from Island Racing and Riva so far.

I ride mainly on coastal / ocean water.

Thanks
    E.S.

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    Alright Eric, check this out, If there's one engine I know like the back of my hand is the 800cc YAMAHA engine. I love that motor. VERY dependable. Alright, I'll attach pics with each explination below the pics...

Check this out:

• Exhaust - The pic above is for my XLT however it shows you that mine was as complicated as yours & it's easy to convert at home. You have a HUGE water tank there thats not necessary. PVC piping is the best replacement. Take proper measures & HomeDepot is your best friend. With about $15.00 in pipes & a couple elbows, you should have it done. Otherwise, RIVA sells you the kit, however you end up paying about $60.00 for it. It makes no sence, just do it like everyone else does it. It's identical.

• Flame Arrestors- These are a bit expensive but they are sweet & help your engine breath better. I was an idiot & sold my GP with them on. I should have kept them. For the price I paid & only used the ski 2 times with them on. They're great. You feel a complete diference with them installed.

• Ride Plate & Intake Grate - This will improve your top speed. It should give you 1-2mph more.

• HOLE SHOT KIT- It pulls you from the water 4-5 times faster than any stock 800 out there. This kit is sick. R&D sells it. I just purchased mine.
    All these parts should get you at 57-58mph on the GPS. If you purchase everything brand new, it should set you back about $400.00 in total. I got my intake grate & rideplate used here on the forums. Do your research & I guarantee you'll be a happy camper. Let me know if you need more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Minx20 View Post
    Ok, my question is, in what order is it best to do mods to my 20002 GP800R? Keep in mind that I am not looking to dump an s-load of money into it.

I allready have the Riva pump seal kit installed and just picked up the Riva Performance Pump Cone (got it for $15). I plan on going with the freeflow exhaust mod as well as it seems to be a popular mod with some results.

Right now I want to concentrate on pump \ handling mods. I have looked at items from Island Racing and Riva so far.

I ride mainly on coastal / ocean water.

Thanks
    E.S.
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 12-19-2006 at 01:20 PM.

snapper455
    before you do anything else you need to install a wave eater kit on the pwr valves. Im sure you probly have. but oh well. I had a 99 gp800 for a while and that little thing with some mods (head, exhast, ride plate, prop, sponsons) was a blast to ride!!!!!!

+1
    the riva cone, keep it as a paperweight.if you do alot of ocean riding ,wave jumping, you might be better with the stock airbox setup to avoid water injestion. as opposed to the flame arrestors. get an electric bilge pump. go with a aftermarket impeller, ride plate and intake grate. step the sponsons. get the wave eater clips and couplers. you can do the free flow just like mr maniac said. you can upgrade to an 05 pump. you can put a 2 inch spacer and correct intermediate shaft on it. you can mill the head. take your pick.
    the jetworks mod, IT FLAT OUT KICKS As$

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by snapper455 View Post
    before you do anything else you need to install a wave eater kit on the pwr valves. Im sure you probly have. but oh well. I had a 99 gp800 for a while and that little thing with some mods (head, exhast, ride plate, prop, sponsons) was a blast to ride!!!!!!
    Thats what I thought about the wave-eater clips, but the service manager at Riva suggested against it . Could not understand why. Are they difficult to install, or do you think I was advised against it because it is like opening a can of worms. He told me that in 02 the powervalves were completly differnet and did not need it?

Any ideas?

Thumbs up

PWCManiac...Thanks for ideas...will be doing the exhaust mod soon.

Suckmywake.... What is the the "jetworks mod?" Newbie question...sorry

Jetworks mod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JetWorks Island Racing Modification.JPG 
Views:	714 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	12736  
    Attached Files Attached Files

snapper455
    he is full of crap! I work on these all summer long. oil lines comming off and pwr valves dropping are the only killers for these motors I am still fixing 05 models with dropped valves. You have to pull the exhaust manifold to install them on that motor. Kind of a pain but well worth it. you can reuse the exhaust gasket. put a thin film of import grey silicon on the gasket before reinstalling the manifold.

+1
    "put a thin film of import grey silicon on the gasket before reinstalling the manifold. "
    what is this and where would I get it?
    thanks
    Last edited by dhoad; 12-19-2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling

You can not in any way put the jetworks mod on a 800 66E engine in its current form like the 1200 engines. Do not just go out and order the std. jetworks kit from any dealer its a Different setup!!!!! Art at jetworks does have a couple of adapters left in stock when they tested them back in the day ORIGINALY on the 800's I know he was looking to sale them.........I purchased one in the begining of the summer. So if you want to buy them who ever you purchase it from ask them to get the adapter coupler for you as well. I dont remember what the total was but I think it was another 50 or so for the adapter. One last thing I have been instructed for this to be the last mod to be done. Tune the boat and when its all set up engine wise and everything is working the way it should be then add the jetwokrs mod.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information