Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: water bypass

water bypass

Does anyone know if the waterline on the exhaust can ve re-routed for a bypass or does it need to be on the exhaust? I put a bypass fiting in the front of my ski and i have all kinds of valves in the j pipe hose (i run in salt water and need to flush)but they are a pain in the ass. Thank's

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    in what way do you want to bypass it and for what reason?

if you want to bypass the exhaust for chits and giggles to have water spray out from your ski somewhere then use the hose that comes off the top of the j-pipe.... but now you lose your flushing capability.

if you want to dry out the exhaust more and make less water enter the waterbox, then take one of the hoses that feeds the j-pipe from the exhaust manifold (those 2 short like 6" hoses) off and bypass that... make sure you know what you are doing if you go this route and you don't make the exhaust overheat and wind up doing damage like burning a hole thru your waterbox

can you clarify for what purpose you want to run a water bypass?

+1
    I don't recommend bypassing the line coming off the top of the J pipe. That is your flush port. On the RXP and RXT there is a hose going from the bottom of the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the J pipe. This line has a Tee in it. Use this Tee'd off line to run to your bypass fitting. Don't forget to plug the line off where it goes to in its original location
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 12-19-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Thank's Shibby,
    I was just doing it for looks.I saw a thread awile ago about putting one in and I thought it looked cool and it was a good way to see if the pump was working O.K. I didn't read far enough ahead before I drilled the hole to find out that you can't flush so I tee'd of the water line of the j pipe and put a ball valve on the flush line so I could still flush.I am putting Riva exhaut in and I saw that line.Is there anywere that I could hook up to so these valves can go away or should I forget about it and just plug up the fitting that I drilled in? Thank's Again Bob

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    That's fine if you want the looks of it...you drilled the hole already, so go thru with your plan. There's lots of ways you can run a bypass without changing the volume of water flow into your waterbox... I'm in a rush and need to go now, I'll help you out later today when i get back if you haven't figured out a plan of attack by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I don't recommend bypassing the line coming off the top of the J pipe.

GH i remember you had a thread that told us to use that hose. Do you know what size hose that is thats coming out of that T on the bottom on the exhaust manifold? So i can change it, it looked smaller then 1/2"

i am going to run my "bypass" off of the 5/8 water line that injects into the exhaust near the tip (bottom of the j-pipe). it will be sufficient enough to tell me if there is proper water flow and still maintain normal flush capabilites.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    GH i remember you had a thread that told us to use that hose. Do you know what size hose that is thats coming out of that T on the bottom on the exhaust manifold? So i can change it, it looked smaller then 1/2"
    i mentioned in a thread that i ran a bypass off of that line, but i do not recommend it. In fact, i have since stopped bypassing that line. I like the benefit of having a flush fitting.

I put in a Riva aluminum exhaust pipe and plugged the fitting near the thru hull on the end of the pipe and re routed the hose directly across the hull along the bottom and drilled a hole just above the rub rail and put a 45 degree aluminum fitting there. Now I can see if water is flowing thru my exhaust system. A CSI if you will. (Coooling system indicator) T C

+1
    Tom, thats the same thing i have going on with both of my skis. Its nice to be able to look over and see the water spraying out. Looks cool too

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information