04 rxp vs 03-04 gp1300r

just as the title says, we are looking to get a second ski to acompany out 03 fx140.

i have narrowed it down to an 04 rxp 215 pr an 03/04 gp1300r. both skis have about the same hours, 50-75, and are priced around the same amount. I am just wondering which is the more reliable setup with 500-600 added to each for reliability mods (wave clips, metal washers, etc)

I only ride in the ocean and its gets kinda of choppy out there glass runs for me except maybe right at sunset here or there. I may take it to a lake once or twice a year at max.

I recently jumped on my buddy's older gp1200 and after 5 minutes i was ready to get off. i felt like my fillings were going to rattle out. it really beat me up and would not be looking for a ski that handled the same way.

i like to jump some waves and do my little donuts and 180s, play with the other skis and cruise out to the sand bars, but no "real racing" for me

i would take a passenger maybe 30-40 percent of the time.

i like the idea of another 4stroke and never have to worry about not having oil for the day but if you guys think the yamaha is the way to go i guess ill make due.

my main thing is reliability, dont mind doing maintenance, but dont want to be hauling it to the shop for repairs all the time. right not we log about 6-10 hours a weekend on our fx140.

Sparrows Point, MD (near the Key Bridge)
    Both ski's will beat the hell out of you in mild to rough chop. IMO go for the seadoo, 4 stroke engine is more reliable and will last longer with proper care. Only thing with the 04's is to make sure you swap out the cermaic washers for a set of Rivas and knock sensor update. Theres also the issue with the exhaust valves and flywheel bolts.

i have had both skis in the chop the rxp is not the greatest but definatly better than the gpr. yes the gpr is the faster HULL because it wheighs nothing but then again your not looking for top speed so id go with the rxp. if well maintained a 4stroke motor will outlast any 2stroke motor. only thing is like sfacketto said you must changed the ceramic washers IMMEDIATLY and it is highly recommended to change exhaust valve . if you take your vin to a dealer they can tell you if the knock sensor update was done. now the flywheel bolts on the 04 are not the greatest but with stock motor and supercharger it should not be that bad but if you plan to do upgrades it would be best to update to the 07 and up bolts.

Thread Information