looking at a 99gsx limited tonight

ill be looking at a 99 gsx limited this evening, is there anything i have to look for, updates common repairs, hull cracks in certain areas? i know the fuel lines needed to be replaced on these engines but is there anything else?

+1
    If they will let you take a compression test. I think 135 psi is the norm. Take a mirror to look at the cases on the motor. Look for broken pipe mounts and check out the pump and prop [etc]. I have had no crack on my hull. Had to replace the 2 stroke reservoir because of leak in the seam. beside the motor breaking a skit on the piston and having to rebuild the pump. it been a good ski.

+1
    Check for grey fuel lines
    Compression test
    Water test if possible depending on price and situation
    Check out how throttle and steering feel
    Check out intake grate, pump, etc..
    History..? Rebuilt, new motor, new anything, dealer sercviced ? Etc..
    Just cleanliness all together..I feel like you can usually tell the people who maintain properly and basically just 'take care of their shit'...especially when you talking something 10+ years old..

new rebuilt is supposed to be 150 psi, but yeah, doubt it would hold this psi for a long time. The gauges go bad a lot as do the gas baffle and the VTS motor. If these work, it's a good thing, but not a deal breaker if they don't. If you are mechanically adept, pull the raves and check the cylinder walls and see if there's a ton of guck on the guillotine ( meaning he's using non synthetic oil )

did a compression test and got about 140 psi on both cylenders. could use a prop as per visual inspection and possibly a wear ring. Has about 130 hrs on original motor. speedo is the only thing that dosent work. he said he gave up on having that repaired a bunch of times. I noticed a drip of water every once in a while coming from the rear by the speedo cable. small crack in gelcoat exposing fiberglass maybe about 3 inches long up front twards top of lower hull. only other thing i thought was wierd was there was oil all over the hull inside like a bluish green oil, even up front under the storage bin. Ski has umi handle bars, aftermarket seat, and sponsons, and a rule bilge pump in back which i assume has been added. water test went good, i was out for a few hours.. this ski was winterized since fall of 09, so im sure the gas in it was not the greatest. it bogged a few times here and there but cleared up the more i rode it, got up to about 6800rpm i believe. steering is very responsive. trim works good too. ill have pics and a video up by tomorrow. what do you guys think this ski with a trailer would be worth?

forgot to mention, carbs were rebuilt/ replaced in 03 and it still has gray fuel lines

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blu 250x View Post
    forgot to mention, carbs were rebuilt/ replaced in 03 and it still has gray fuel lines
    replace all gray fuel lines

Thread Information