Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Carbon ring problem? -2010 RXT-X260, 42 hrs.

First time out with R&D grate and 15/22r(w/ green cone & o-ring) impeller; ski sank. I ran for about 1/2 hour and it ran great. Stopped for a drink; came back to ski 45 minutes later and the motor was half under water. I panicked and run it aground. I destroyed the new impeller. Haven't found anything I thought would let in that much water. No hull or tunnel cracks. Found 4 of the 6 rubber seals on the IBR mounting plate split and one on the other side. I have replaced all the seals and plates. I was hoping this was the problem but have seen a lot of chat about the carbon rings. It appears to be snug against the ring support. I can push the bellows back slightly and move the carbon ring a little. Is this normal? I have my new 15/22r and I'm just waiting for the cone from Speedfreaks. I don't want to put the pump back in if the carbon ring is bad. Don't want to replace it if it's not. Not looking forward to pulling the drive shaft.
    Comments appreciated. Ed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Side Seal2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	248444

+1
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is another reason to install a bilge pump......if you would have had one on "Auto" it would have started pissing and you would have known right away you had this problem! My brother in law discovered a sponson bolt loose and leaking by this very situation!

See post #166 in this link:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...mments!/page17

WHen you changed out the impeller you could have over tightened any of those brass inserts with the rubber grommet seal.

IMO having a bilge pump in a pwc is smart and much safer!

+1
    Your cone didn't come loose did it?
    How did you destroy your impeller?
    Didn't you replace the fixing plate seals a week or two ago?
    Is it me or are there TONS of problems with the 2010/2011 RXTX's this weekend? I'm afraid to take mine out sunday
    Check this thread - http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-RXTX-Nosecone

+1
    GET RID OF YOUR NOSE CONE!!!! Thats most likely ur problem. Same thing happened to me the day i changed my stock prop for the solas.

+1
    The post a couple of week ago is when I found the bad fixing plate seals after taking on water and running aground. I just now installed the new ones and saw the posts about carbon ring problems.
    Ruined my impeller sucking up rocks when I ran aground. I didn't kill the motor in time.
    I have a bilge pump now although it's not automatic.
    The green solas cone hadn't come off. Some of the posts recommended the speedfreeks cone. I'm waitin on it now.
    I used a torque wrench on all bolts.
    I'm still unsure about my carbon ring.

+1
    I had the Speedfreeks nose cone installed with blue locktite. Jpeconsult Pulled my pump today and we found the Speedfreeks nose cone freely chilling on the drive shaft. The threads totally split apart. Imma take a picture of the S/F cone and post it up. (could have been bc i installed with an o-ring) We didn't see the rest of the threads anywheres. Had to break off!
    He checked my carbon seal and thought everything checked out ok. Well see tomorrow though for sure. I have confidence with Jeremy that everything's ok! By the way, hats of to ya for the help!

+1
    hmmm....SO many issues with nose cones lately

+1
    When the speedfreaks nose cone gets here I'm going to use red locktite.
    Having my ski down is killing me espically since I received the ECU Jarry flashed a week ago and can't get it in the water.
    Nobody has commented on if they think my carbon seal is OK or not "It appears to be snug against the ring support. I can push the bellows back slightly and move the carbon ring a little. Is this normal?"
    I don't know if this is righ or wrong.
    Last edited by immred; 08-06-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added comment

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by immred View Post
    First time out with R&D grate and 15/22r(w/ green cone & o-ring) impeller; ski sank. I ran for about 1/2 hour and it ran great. Stopped for a drink; came back to ski 45 minutes later and the motor was half under water. I panicked and run it aground. I destroyed the new impeller. Haven't found anything I thought would let in that much water. No hull or tunnel cracks. Found 4 of the 6 rubber seals on the IBR mounting plate split and one on the other side. I have replaced all the seals and plates. I was hoping this was the problem but have seen a lot of chat about the carbon rings. It appears to be snug against the ring support. I can push the bellows back slightly and move the carbon ring a little. Is this normal? I have my new 15/22r and I'm just waiting for the cone from Speedfreaks. I don't want to put the pump back in if the carbon ring is bad. Don't want to replace it if it's not. Not looking forward to pulling the drive shaft.
    Comments appreciated. Ed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Side Seal2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	248444
    Had the same problem with my plates. All rubber seals were broken. Dealer overtighten them while performing other warranty work. Ordered new plates from the dealer and changed them myself. Found the problem by tilting the ski up in the front and then filling the hull with water until it covered only the rear of the ski. Water came pooring out from the plates where the seals are located. Made arrangements with my dealer.........he supplies all parts under warranty and I perform the work.......he bills BRP as normal warrenty work. Got to do what you got to do....

+1
    Thanks Glade Rider. That makes me think the plates really were why I took in so much water and my carbon ring is OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information