Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: intercooler?

+1

intercooler?

Possibly in the market for a intercooler but don't know which one to but whats everybodys opinion on intercoolers for a fzs figured gone need one for a c3 wheel along with my r2 reflash so trying to decide on which one to buy please give some input would be greatly appreciated thanks brett

+1
    Well, Let's start by saying anything is better than stock IC.

Your current options:

Riva IC. It's what I use and most in U.S use. Why, because it's readily available and a straight forward install with directions. Everything you need for the install is included in the kit. A few of us change out the factory X-fitting with a factory Y-fitting from 09-up FXHO, eliminating the feed to the stock IC since the Riva IC has it's own dedicated waterline off the pump. Riva includes a screw to block the fitting. But, for under $10. It's safer to buy the Y-fitting. (Riva should just throw one in the kit since it's almost $1000) http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1180

JD1 IC: I have no real world experience with it. But I'm sure it gets the job done well. Due to manufacturing issues, He may not be selling these anymore. At least not through the online store anyway. Have been a few instances of the mounting bracket breaking. Comes with all Air piping, but you have to supply your own water hose and fittings.

Watson IC: Austrailian favorite since it's made there and readily accessible , again i have no experience with it. But the fastest Australian guys use it and swear by it. It comes with the air piping and I assume mounting brackets. i don't know about the waterline..http://www.watsonracing.com.au/produ...=gwr02012&cat=

Do it yourself: using the frozenboost type 14 IC. A few members have done it and it works fine for them. But, it requires fabricating all your own air piping, mounting brackets and waterlines and fittings. It's the cheapest option if you have the skills. There are a few threads with detailed pics of the install. Just type in frozenboost type14 into greenhulk search bar. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-XLT-SHO/page8

R&D pro IC: I know very little about it. It's like the blacksheep of the IC family. Mostly because it came on the scene last. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on the good/bad of it. http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1238

That's all I know of.

+1
    Now that is a helluva response!

I recently ordered the R&D Water cooled supercharger cooler.
    I'm also in the market for a aftermarket intercooler just like yol937
    But are there any i can't use in combination with my R&D water cooled supercharger cooler or it has nothing to do with each other ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    Well, Let's start by saying anything is better than stock IC.

Your current options:

Riva IC. It's what I use and most in U.S use. Why, because it's readily available and a straight forward install with directions. Everything you need for the install is included in the kit. A few of us change out the factory X-fitting with a factory Y-fitting from 09-up FXHO, eliminating the feed to the stock IC since the Riva IC has it's own dedicated waterline off the pump. Riva includes a screw to block the fitting. But, for under $10. It's safer to buy the Y-fitting. (Riva should just throw one in the kit since it's almost $1000)

JD1 IC: I have no real world experience with it. But I'm sure it gets the job done well. Due to manufacturing issues, He may not be selling these anymore. At least not through the online store anyway. Have been a few instances of the mounting bracket breaking. Comes with all Air piping, but you have to supply your own water hose and fittings.

Watson IC: Austrailian favorite since it's made there and readily accessible , again i have no experience with it. But the fastest austrailian guys use it and swear by it. I don't know what comes with the kit for the install.

Do it yourself: using the frozenboost type 14 IC. A few members have done it and it works fine for them. But, it requires fabricating all your own air piping, mounting brackets and waterlines and fittings. It's the cheapest option if you have the skills. There are a few threads with detailed pics of the install. Just type in frozenboost type14 into greenhulk search bar.

R&D pro IC: I know very little about it. It's like the blacksheep of the IC family. Mostly because it came on the scene last. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on the good/bad of it.

That's all I know of.
    Very nice post with great information and facts.

There have been a lot of threads in the past about IC's. Jerry's very sticky FZR build thread discusses the gains he realized with the Riva IC.

Is the JD IC readily available?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryBay View Post
    I recently ordered the R&D Water cooled supercharger cooler.
    I'm also in the market for a aftermarket intercooler just like yol937
    But are there any i can't use in combination with my R&D water cooled supercharger cooler or it has nothing to do with each other ?
    You can use any of the above mentioned IC's with the R&D water cooled housing. Surfrider just installed his WC housing to go with his Riva IC. But hasn't had it on water yet. At some point he'll stop by and give details.

+1
    Yes that is a helluva response and much useful info I appreciate it a lot thanks well let u guys know what I end up doing and my end results hopefully if everything works in the next three weeks I will be in the water with these mods. Thanks brett

+1
    Yes, I have installed the R&D WC Housing (WHC) and have the Riva IC. I did have to cut a little of the the IC support bracket to make room for the WCH. I also shaved a little off the WCH outlet, but am not sure if it was necessary or not. Unlike most of the other IC kits that have a silicone hose to go from the SC to the IC, the Riva IC has a hard aluminum tube for the inlet, with a very small silicone hose, so there is no give at all. I don't really want to post too much yet as I forgot to bring the pyrometer out with me today for the first test. I will post more details in the WCH thread after I do more testing.

+1
    Riva's intercooler has only a 2-1/4" outlet, which becomes a bottleneck (restrictive) with 15 lbs of boost and above!
    The JD IC kit & Watson IC kit have a 3" inlet and outlet, both outperform the Riva kit and both use the same intercooler just mounted up differently.
    Why does Riva use a 2 1/4" outlet..........probably so they can sale you an upgrade a few years down the road.
    Why do a lot of guys on this site use the Riva cooler........probably because they follow some guy around in green.

+1
    How hard is it to get a Watson IC over here to the states? I'm sure it costs a bit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information