Starting Problem - Advice Please

My 2006 C180 with the 4tec 1503 engine won't start, but in a very weird way.

It will crank, catch for a second or so and spin up to 1500RPM, then die. This is repeatable unless I flood it, in which case I can clear it and then back to crank, catch and die.

Previous to this, I only used the boat 2x this year, both times about 2 months ago. Everything worked fine. I topped of the gas and stored it due to low local water in the beginning of June Tonight first I tried to start it and discovered a dead battery. Case was bulged and it would not take a charge. I replaced it, checked the connections, checked both blocks of fuses, etc...

Any ideas?

+1
    It will crank, catch for a second or so and spin up to 1500RPM, then die. This is repeatable unless I flood it, in which case I can clear it and then back to crank, catch and die.

Heard of gas stabilizer? Know it bro... especially if you don't use your craft often.

Your gas is trash, it'd be best to siphon it out, and put new in, if you don't want to do that or want to run that trash gas through another vehicle at least pick up some stuff called Sea-Foam to help improve the gas.

New plugs are always a good thing to have... Fresh spark!

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    Heard of gas stabilizer? Know it bro... especially if you don't use your craft often.

Your gas is trash, it'd be best to siphon it out, and put new in, if you don't want to do that or want to run that trash gas through another vehicle at least pick up some stuff called Sea-Foam to help improve the gas.

New plugs are always a good thing to have... Fresh spark!
    I do use stabilizer for winter storage. The 2 month layup was unexpected (record drought locally 2 inches of rain all year) and I did not think that was long enough to ruin the gas...

+1
    with Ethanol, anytime sitting is too long......

Oh well, you know how I am spending my Saturday. Thanks for the advice, I truly hope you guys are right.

Well, those quick suggestions did not pan out. I drained the tank 80% (all I could) and replaced with brand new premium. I added treatment at the same time. Replaced plugs. I seems the engine might have caught on for a tiny bit longer.

I am able to manually open the throttle a bit and keep it running for a minute or so. It is running rough. One a time I disconnected each of the 3 plugs and as expected it run even rougher, so I don't think I have a dead cylinder

Any other ideas?

Thread Information