Unhappy A few issues on 2001 Polaris virages

I have a pair of virages that have been giving me trouble since the end of last summer. They both compression tested to have good motors.
    The first one:
    Ran great last year till the end of summer. The bearing failed and it took on water and stopped starting. I took it in the shop and had a new bearing and shaft installed and also a brand spanking new magneto as I was told it was bad, never touched it again till this year. It started ran for a few min at 5mph then went full throttle for about 40 or so seconds and it died, no spark.
    Cleaned all connections/grounds and regreased them. Sometimes there's sparks sometimes there isnt. took to the shop again and he's saying the brand new one with a few minutes of use is bad as it's not giving him the correct ohm readings.
    What gives can it go bad this fast? If so is there a cause behind it? I do t want to buy another one and have it go bad too if there is still another issue causing it.

Now the other ski.
    Since last year it didnt stay started (idle) unless I had lightly held the throttle. So this year I decided to get both carbs rebuilt. It has a spark and starts right up, but still need to lightly hold throttle to stay started any ideas why?
    It also tends to die when the it goes wot instantly and when the throttle is lightly pressed my car rebuilding mechanic said that the rpm go up and down constantly and won't stay as they should. Any ideas why?

Sorry I'm a newb and am still learning. I might have asked for too much, but I'd like to be able to understand these more so I could do my own work on them as shops start burning through my wallet fast. Any help would be appreciated. Im good with cars, but never worked on pwc before. I've been learning on here for the past few months off and on. It seems like there a good bunch of helpful knowledge and people on here.

One final thing. Is it easy to replace the magneto on this pwc as in plug and play Or is there timing adjustments needed?

Oh yea, one more thing. How can you tell if the oil is squirting in correctly? I had one mechanic sY that both are not. I don't trust that both would go bad together so I'd like to test or find out how to test myself.
    Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.

Let's start with which models Virage ? do you have.

They are 2001 twin 700

+1
    How much water did it take on?
    Was the electrical box submerged ?
    No,the new stator should not fail that quicky unless it was assembled incorrectly and physically damaged.
    There are alot of other things that could cause no-spark. Start by testing battery volts while cranking.

The carbs have an idle adjusting screw,at the front of carb-towards hull-large plastic head.
    With air cleaner off, squeeze throttle-do you see a spray of fuel into the carb from the small brass fitting ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    How much water did it take on?
    Was the electrical box submerged ?
    No,the new stator should not fail that quicky unless it was assembled incorrectly and physically damaged.
    There are alot of other things that could cause no-spark. Start by testing battery volts while cranking.

The carbs have an idle adjusting screw,at the front of carb-towards hull-large plastic head.
    With air cleaner off, squeeze throttle-do you see a spray of fuel into the carb from the small brass fitting ?
    It took on a bit of water just touching the bottom 5-10% of the bottom of the box I'd say. Both skis had all the grounds connection cleaned/greased already.
    The new magneto was installed by the current mechanic who has my skis now and is saying the ohms are not reading correctly.
    Battery voltage is good and strong. Around 13V I believe. Both batteries are brand new and the good ones (2 year warranty no maintenance).
    When pressing throttle it does spray fuel (but I don't know how to check if oil is injecting correctly if at all)

Also is there any timing adjustment that are needed with the install of a new magneto? If so I'm wondering if that's where the mechanic messed up. I'm still at aww about it having gone bad if it did. They are not cheap.

Important question. Is the magneto a simple bolt on part? Or is there a timing setting/adjustment needed when replacing the magneto?

Anybody on the magnEto install question? Cause if there are no timing adjustments needed I could get the skis from the shop and do it myself.

2nd how to check to make sure motor is getting oil properly if at all?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by murtnabila View Post
    Anybody on the magnEto install question? Cause if there are no timing adjustments needed I could get the skis from the shop and do it myself.

2nd how to check to make sure motor is getting oil properly if at all?
    Yes, the "stator" simply bolts to the engine.
    The timing adjustment is on the flywheel,which needs to be removed to replace the stator and as with any engine work it is recommended to "recheck" the timing.In theory-if the timing screws were not moved-it SHOULD be were it was. Good ? Bad ????

Polaris way of checking the oil pump, is to have the engine idling-move the oil pump lever to "full oil" or max flow and watch for an increase of smoke from the exhaust.

I've found= With the oil line off the carb-lever at full flow-oil will barely dribble ( a drop every few seconds ).

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Yes, the "stator" simply bolts to the engine.
    The timing adjustment is on the flywheel,which needs to be removed to replace the stator and as with any engine work it is recommended to "recheck" the timing.In theory-if the timing screws were not moved-it SHOULD be were it was. Good ? Bad ????

Polaris way of checking the oil pump, is to have the engine idling-move the oil pump lever to "full oil" or max flow and watch for an increase of smoke from the exhaust.

I've found= With the oil line off the carb-lever at full flow-oil will barely dribble ( a drop every few seconds ).
    Thank you. Gets me started!

Can anyone point me to a how to write up possibly on here to set the timing correctly.
    Are there any special tools needed or is the timing light gun used for cars? And what is the recommended fuel octane 87 or 91 for these?

Thank!

Thread Information