Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sl750 stator maybe?

OK I have a 94 sl750 the ski runs good at idle up to about 3500 rpms then it seems to bog.
    I have been through the fuel system completly.
    Ive done a stator check my results were
    alternator coil (red/purple to yellow) are supposed to be 0.6 i got 0.3
    exciter coil (red/white to green/red) supposed to be 490 ohms I got 480
    pulser coil (blue/red to red/white) supposed to be 90 ohms i got 67
    trigger coil (white/yellow to black) supposed to be 220 ohms I got 190

So Im wondering is the stator bad?
    IT appears when i hook up a timing light just to check fire that at lower rpms it is firing fine but at the higher rpm range the light starts to flicker alittle bit to indicate a miss.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stumped View Post
    alternator coil (red/purple to yellow) are supposed to be 0.6 i got 0.3
    exciter coil (red/white to green/red) supposed to be 490 ohms I got 480
    pulser coil (blue/red to red/white) supposed to be 90 ohms i got 67
    trigger coil (white/yellow to black) supposed to be 220 ohms I got 190
    The manual say +/- 10% for any of the readings. It seems that all but the Exciter Coil are outside that spec so I think you may be on to something.

Just to be sure, perform the dynamic timing check as I outlined here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...0-satic-timing

The only difference is your timing is set at 24* (0.139" , 3.54mm BTDC) on your ski. If that checks out, then yeah I'd say under heavy load your stator is breaking down.

I have a good stator out of a '93 750. That was an analog ski so I'm not sure that would work on your '94. Ask around and if it will work we could work a deal so you're back on the water ASAP.

KJ

Yeah I already did the timing check and its seems to be dead on I do have a spare stator out of a 95 780 I was wondering if that would work. I also have a complete 780 motor with the cdi the only thing im missing is the rectifier and coils but i have the ones from my 750 as well as a set from a 650 wqs wondering if this stuff would work togethere if i just chose to do the engine swap. Also how hard is it to change the stator with the engine in the ski. I know the manual kinda points that you should remove it.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    780 stator will work. It isnt too bad to change stator without pulling the motor. You have to pull the fuel tank....then you have a clear shot at it.

Ok Thanks I will give it a shot and report back...

Well I pulled the tank got the cover off and while trying to pull the flywheel the bolts on my puller broke so now im stuck with the ends of the bolts still in the flywheel. Looks like i will be pulling the engine regardless.
    This is so not what i wanted to do.....

Hey Tbone I see your somewhat local to me is there a good place around Stl that I can go get seals, gaskets, parts or whatever or is just pretty much an online thing...

+1
    Yeah, I do the online thing. I am local to you - very close actually - the 750 youre working on used to be mine, I think.....your helping Will out, right?

Can you easy out the broken screws?

I have done several of these stators for customers by sliding the tank forward in the ski and using an impact. I am down to around 1.5 hours start to finish. The last one has given me a new problem and I need some of the expert help I see out here!

Customer installed his battery without the insulator for the box and fried the ground wire on a 1994 SLT750. He loves the ski and wanted me to fix it. I told him there was a fair chance he took the cdi as well. Installed a used stator that ohm checked good, same part number I removed from the ski. Put it together and no spark. Everything tested good, so I changed the CDI with a used one "that came from a running ski". Part number that was in the ski 16720101, F8T32071. Still no spark. I had a 1995 SL650 that had good spark. The CDI in that ski was part number 16420231, F8T16274. All the wire colors matched between the CDI so I swapped them. The SL650 lost spark and the SLT750 started up! I found a new CDI for the 750 and installed it, back to no spark. I did the swap again, 650 no spark with the new cdi for the 750, the 750 started up again. Can anyone tell me what is different about these CDI's? When I look in the electric box of the 650, it looks like it has two LR modules. The 750 only has the small module. This is driving me nuts! On the positive side I may have a few extra CDI units for a SLT750 if anyone needs them.

Yeah Tbone this is Will didnt recognize you from the pic Im using this profile now. But I did finally get the screws out and got to the stator.Its covered in oil think im jus gonna switch out with the 780 kinda ran out of time for the day hopefully get it in tomorrow and test...Really didnt seem all that bad though to do in the hull probably could have finished it in 3-4 hours if I didnt have the whole flywheel stuck on to deal with.

Shade wish I could help but kinda new to the ski stuff myself

+1
    Hahaha - not me in the pic - its Kenny Powers

Yeah, not too bad of a job - now that you got it out, I'd change it - did you ohm test the 780 stator? Just double checking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information