Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Filter

+1

Air Filter

Most people say a homemade air filter is the way to go instead of the 3" K&N filter.
    What materials and what procedures work best to make a homemade filter?
    About how much will it cost?
    Does putting the filter in the front storage bin really make a big difference?
    Where else should the filter go if I wanted to keep the front storage open for putting things in it?

If I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible and the conditions I ride on are usually glass or close to it, is the Riva grate a waste of money?

Hulk, when do you plan on doing the back to back wedge and no wedge tests? Is yours the 2?

Why do most racers seem to prefer the finger throttle?

+1
    I put my filter in the upper front storage compartment. You lose your storage bucket this way, but it helps out alot.

The Riva grate is definately worth the money. Its what I run and I love it.
    I have a finger throttle too and love that as well.

The wedge will definately give you at least 1 mph increase so that is worth the money too if you ride in flat water.

I use the front seat intake for my air filter and used 4" all the way to the SC.

People say "whats that sound" because you can hear it whine like a red headed step child. Sounds like an airplane engine starting up.

I might pull it back above the gas tank with a K&N and use a 4" atwood blower on it, since I have 2 4" tubes going into the hull. One could blow air the other would be for suction from the SC.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    I put my filter in the upper front storage compartment. You lose your storage bucket this way, but it helps out alot.
    Are you talking about the little storage compartment near the top of the handlebars or the bigger one that you unlatch the hood to access? What does putting the filter there help with?

+1
    Its in the little storage compartment. It gets the air intake out of the hot engine compartment. Bye bye heat fade

http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewt...air+intake+mod

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    Are you talking about the little storage compartment near the top of the handlebars or the bigger one that you unlatch the hood to access? What does putting the filter there help with?
    It's in his front storage compartment. When you put it there you can cut holes in the hood or use the riva high flow hood to get more air to the filter. Some people even put a bilge put at the bottom of the compartment. Burnwater uses some sort of water seperator using a metal pan looking thing, but I don't know how it works.

Basically more cooler air more power. I have mine in the seat intake because the vents suck in plenty of air. I thought of hooking up a ram device next to the glove compartment but I tested it and it didn't do anything.

First thing you need to do is get a 3" or 4" tube up to the gas tank with a K&N filter you can order off ebay. Then make sure you get your rectifier to a cool location with air flow. Then you can play with extending it if you want. Air filter is a good 3-4 times of testing but fun after seeing the results. It's like the starter drug for modding.

+1
    Cutting holes and putting a 4" hose through my ski seems like a mod that is too complicated and destructive to the interior for me to do right now, thanks anyway though for all the advice, hopefully it's useful to someone else. Do the power filter and K&N filter still increase top end compared to stock even if it isn't in the front storage?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Yes,100-150 rpm... I had to re-pitch my impeller to stay off the rev-limiter.

Jeff

Just get it over the gas tank and you will see 100-200 which can give you a couple mph if you repitch your impeller. You can go to impros.com and it runs you about 50 so dollars. If you don't get a repitch you will probably get about .5 mph and alot more acceleration. You can also get IXU-27 spark plugs after adding the intake to get another couple hp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    Just get it over the gas tank and you will see 100-200 which can give you a couple mph if you repitch your impeller. You can go to impros.com and it runs you about 50 so dollars. If you don't get a repitch you will probably get about .5 mph and alot more acceleration. You can also get IXU-27 spark plugs after adding the intake to get another couple hp.
    Would the Solas 14/19 give me the couple mph you are talking about or do I need to get a different pitch and/or a different prop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information