waverunner 701 running poorly

Hi, I recently bought a 1994 yamaha waverunner 3. It started off running bad only under full throttle. Now it almost always runs like it has a bad misfire. Sometimes it is so bad it feels like a rev limiter. Also it only starts if I prime the carb, or hold it full throttle. I also think it is smoking too much.(has auto mixer).

Heres what I have done: New plugs. Did a compression test,150 and 135. Took apart and cleaned carb which was in good condition.

Now here is the kicker: I am getting spark on both cylinders, but with the engine running if i pull the plug wire off on the 135 psi cylinder, it runs the same. If I pull the boot off of the better cylinder, it dies.

My buddy says that it sounds like a bad reed valve. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

+1
    Welcome to the forum

It might be time to pop the head off and take a peak at that weak cylinder and figure how much damage you have. It may be time for a couple of new pistons and rings.

Something caused that problem though. You said that your carb was good, so look over the seal closest to the bad cylinder. It may be leaking (sucking in) air causing a lean condition. I would not mention this except that it is a relatively older engine, and seals do leak with time.

Misfiring may be a symptom of bad reeds, so while you have it apart, it is not that hard to check the reed valves for broken ends.

Thanks for the reply. I just pulled out the reeds and I see no visible damage. What seal nearest the low cylinder are u talking about? Also, would a 15 psi compression difference make it run this bad?

+1
    Welcome to the forum

+1
    Where the crank sticks out of both ends of the engine. The front seal is hidden behind the flywheel cover and he flywheel. The back one is exposed. Do a search on an engine pressure test to help find out if you have an air leak.

The compression difference between the two cylinders could make a very big difference. Many want to pull the head if there is a 10 psi difference. For sure, something is wrong, and pulling the head should expose something. You just have to figure out what type of damage it is and more importantly what caused it so that it won't happen again after you fix it.

We have some really good tuners on this forum. If you see some damage on your cylinders, post some pictures, and I am sure they will help you figure out what caused it.

Ok, I decided to check the cylinders. The one with low compression has wear marks. I pulled off the cylinder and the piston is wasted. The rings look to be good, but there are a lot of wear marks that I can feel with my finger nail. Also there is a small crack near the piston skirt and there was fuel in the crank case.

+1
    I think that cracks on the skirts (it might have broken off with time) indicates that your rods are sloppy (piston chatter) and that a crank rebuild is justified. I'm not a tuner though. You should not base your decisions on my opinion. Do you have any idea how many hours that craft has?

Post some pictures and let's see if a real pro will give you sound advise.

Thread Information