Glowing hot driveshaft?!

on my gpr i noticed today the intermediate driveshaft coupling was red hot, like drip water on it and it sizzled! i dont have the plastic cover over it but my ski lost spark and died, i grabbed it to see if the engine had locked up and it hadnt but the shaft was soo hot! is this normal? ive replaced the bearing and seals in the coupling 1 hour ago when i had the motor out. the front seal has twisted slightly but hopefully i can just push it back in straight. the part getting hot is the darker coloured metal peiced that the front seal rubs on, not the shiny bit going to the coupling/crankshaft

The intermediate shaft should not be that hot. It is not normal.

+1
    grease it

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Josh View Post
    on my gpr i noticed today the intermediate driveshaft coupling was red hot, like drip water on it and it sizzled! i dont have the plastic cover over it but my ski lost spark and died, i grabbed it to see if the engine had locked up and it hadnt but the shaft was soo hot! is this normal? ive replaced the bearing and seals in the coupling 1 hour ago when i had the motor out. the front seal has twisted slightly but hopefully i can just push it back in straight. the part getting hot is the darker coloured metal peiced that the front seal rubs on, not the shiny bit going to the coupling/crankshaft
    Sounds like it needs more than just grease at this point!

yeah i packed the new bearing full of grease and the grease nipple just puts grease between 2 seals, its got plenty of grease in it but it just seems to get red hot? it dosent litterally glow but it gets hot enough to sizzle water i cant think what would cause it tho, it spins nice and freely, the coupling is alighned good... i dont know whats going on? i was hoping its just the heat coming off the rear triple pipe because it sits directly over the shaft but wasnt sure

+1
    I have a spare for 2000r

what good is a spair if i cant work out why its getting hot... its got a brand new set of bearings and seals that spin freely, the only thing i can think of is exhaust heat or something strange like friction from the impeller shaft? from play or something?

+1
    sounds like there is some clearance between the intermediate shaft and bearing race in the intermediate housing. This is causing a metal to metal contact friction producing the heat. The intermediate shaft should be pressed in the intermediate housing as there needs to be a snug fit.
    I would inspect the intermediate shaft for wear and see if there is evidence of a dark ring where the friction is taking place.

i dont think there is any play in the shaft because i had to press the intermediate housing on so... dont think its that.

Thread Information