97 xp start issue

Well we are coming to the end of winter down under and I haven't ridden my old XP for 4 months so I thought of doing some maintenance work. Changed and replaced worn rave valves and assemblies. Charged the battery. Found about a bit of water in the bottom of the hull which meant I didn't drain it properly before putting it away for the season. Cleaned that out.

Now I went to start it and all I heard was a constant clicking/chattering noise from the front of the engine bay whilst holding the ignition button down. I got the two chirps first. I took the plugs out and got no spark. The noise isn't the same clunk you get with a flat battery. Any ideas where to start first and how to find the problem.

I am thinking relay or starter.

Bump anyone, I am watching with interest a similiar thread though.

+1
    Sounds like a bendix gear coming apart. Or rust in the starter.. Does the crankshaft rotate when the spark plugs are out? I would get the easy stuff out of the way first. Check all high current connection, basicly all the fat red and black wires. Make sure every connection is tight and clean. Next remove spark plugs and rotate crankshaft by hand, use PTO . If your engine rotates smoothly good. Next remove starter and bench test. Follow repair manual on this step. If your stater spins freely on bench I would say you need a Bendix gear and support bushings. At this point I would check for other damages to stater, flywheel teeth, mag cup.

When I took the spark plugs out and tried to crank it over with the start button, nothing, no turn. I will get to the ski on the weekend as it is at the lake. I will try turning the motor by hand and hopefully it will rotate, I strongly suspect the starter is toast and rusted though.

Upon thinking further about it the battery that I charged up is a bit old and I didn't have my meter to check it out so it could also be toast. Could that also be causing this?

+1
    In that case check battery first.

Okay so new battery with 12.6v.

Turn motor and noise from solenoid going and clunk from starter motor.

Take plugs out and motor turns with starter. Spark found.

Put back in and still clunk from starter.

check battery when turning over and goes to between 10 and 11 volts.

Solenoid when jacked with screw driver spark and power going to starter.

Cleaned all connections. I am thinking starter is a gonner. Any opinions.

Okay took out the starter.l There was surface rust everywhere on the gear so water must have got in/ will get it load tested and repaired. It has 8 gear and I see everyone sells nine teet geared starters, should I stick with the 8 tooth gears?

Just for anyones info who cares. Got the starter motor checked out and it was all good just a little rusty. Got it all cleaned up. Put it back in, changed the ground cable for good luck and made sure all wires were cleaned up. Then I got the two beeps and the clunk again of the starter trying to turn over but not enough power. Checked the battery at 12.8v checked the solenoid at about 12.6 volts. Jumped the ground from the battery to the ground on the starter still the same clunk. It was a new battery so I thought I would try my old battery that had a broken lead terminal. It turned over first pop. The new battery was fully charged, just a piece of shite. All this trouble for just a bad battery.

Thread Information