Left Gas on - now have flooded Engine - Help

I just finished a top end rebuild on a 1995 SL 750. Also Rebuilt carbs (and re-jetted), and replaced all hoses. Took it out last weekend for the Break in and seem to run OK, I had a few issues with the plugs I used on the carbs to block the ports not being used when switched out the new fuel pump. Fixed those issue's and started it up on the hose and ran good.

After this test I forgot to turn off the gas (left it about 4 - 5 hrs) and now I have gas in the Engine, I have not turned it over since this happened.

What do I do now?????????

How do I get the gas out?

Did I damage the Reeds?

What caused this to happen (I have left the gas on before and this has not happened)

Here is a list of all work that has been done to the ski and the date completed .

Top end rebuild (all cylinders) - 7/2011
    Fuel pump replaced (3 outlet) - 5/2007
    Primer on carbs (triple) - 5/2007
    Fuel Filters replaced - 7/2011
    Oil pump remove (running pre mix) - 5/2007
    OP FA's put on - 7/2011
    Carbs Rebuilt - 7/2011
    - re-jet highs to 102.5 due to OP FA's
    All hose's replaced - 7/2011
    Check valve in the return line is clean and reinstalled in new hose. - 7/2011
    New fuel on/off switch - 5/2007
    New Fuel Cap - 5/2007

I wanted to take the ski out next weekend to contuniue the break in, so I hope this new problem will not take to much time to fix.

+1
    pull the plugs out and crank it over make SURE you have the layanrd out while cranking so you don't get spark and also pull your pulse lines off the carbs and lay them down on the bottom of the hull to drain any fuel out in them

reeds should be ok

Sounds like your needle and seats are not holding pressure, gas is passing into the crankcase.

+1
    if his tank was Full and it was sitting in the sun the pressure from the expansion of the gas from the heat will push it past the needle and seat

the tank was 3/4 full but was sitting in the sun. when I noticed the issue I took the fuel cap off and it did hiss (pressure in the tank). The only thing I did not replace during the carb rebuild was the needle and seats, they all looked good, but I did have three sets of carbs to make one good set. so I took the best looking parts from each set (screws, seats, needle, ect...) all filters, gaskets, and springs are new in the rebuild. I don't want to take the carbs off again unless I have no choice.

+1
    i wouldn't but i would make sure you turn the fuel off next time LOL and maybe get a new vent for the tank incase that one is bad

Thread Information