Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'97 GP1200 sort of 'bogs' won't accelerate at first..

Doesn't matter if it's the first time running it when taking it out, or if it's later on in the day after taking a break, I get the ski started, which sometimes takes a minute/have to prime it a little.. but i take off, and though it sounds to be running ok, i can't accelerate over 4-6 mph at first, sometimes it just takes maybe 10 seconds or so just feathering the throttle then I can gun it and it runs great, but lately it can take a few minutes, if i try to accelerate it tries to bog down, so I just have to slowly cruise around until I can just sort of feel that it is able to take off. Any ideas what could cause this? Also, yesterday it seemed as if I was running out of fuel, I switched to reserve, went and put a couple gallons in, ran ok at first but then started running really crappy and wouldn't accelerate like before but also making a spitting/sputtering sound. After that, I couldn't even get it started so trying over and over drained the battery as well. Seems like every time I take it out I have these same similar problems lol..

+1
    At idle, the waterbox fills up with water and when you finally go to take off, the exhaust has to push the water out. Thats normal and that could describe some of your problem.
    But it does sound like you might have a carb problem also. I'd first start out by checking the engine compression it you haven't done it in a while. The carb can only work as well as the engine and won't be able to make up for a worn out engine.
    Then just look over the fuel lines and filter for clogs/kinks/leaks. But most likely you'll need to rebuild the carbs, especially they haven't been rebuilt in a while.

+1
    Not sure how many hours you have on the ski, I would remove the carbs and completely go thru them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGUY1619 View Post
    carb issue.. Good be the accel pump or others issues lingering inside the carbs. go through them and replace with necesssary parts. do no use generic rebuild kits use only quality. good luck.
    FWIW, there isn't an accel pump on these non-powervalve GP1200s

I agree probably time to rebuild carbs. Could also be spark plug issues. If they are worn and fouling that could be a good part of the issue too

Starts and runs ok while hooked to hose, but I took it out today and it still wouldn't accelerate for a few minutes.. so I reached down and pulled and pushed the primer knob once, and it finally let me take off.. still wasn't running as good as usual, but I rode it around a little then we parked at a beach. sat for about 20 minutes or so then wouldn't start.. towed it back and put it on trailer and it starts right up.. started right up here at the house also, I can rev it up no problem. What could cause it to not want to turn over after sitting in the water? Also, being that it wouldn't let me accelerate until I primed it a little while running, would this seem to be a fuel sending unit/fuel line problem rather than carb? Though I'm sure my carbs need cleaning/rebuilding anyway.. Once I first got it accelerating it still seemed to 'spit' like a quick hiss sound.. this thing is becoming a pain!

+1
    Running and reving up on the trailer is a completely different world then in the water. There is no load on the motor out of the water and a ton of load when in the water.
    When it didn't start after sitting in the water for 20 minutes, did it crank and crank forever and just not start running or did it not crank at all?
    Also, try not to ride it around too much until you figure it out. It sounds like its running lean and that can ruin the engine fast.

It would keep cranking but not start up

+1
    so probably no fuel in the carbs? I think you're gonna have to dig into the carbs and see if you find something.

any tips on taking them off the motor and taking them apart so that I dont make anything worse? I'm afraid to touch any bolt on the ski now after every other ive tried to remove has broken or stripped lol thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information