Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GTI engine wont turn over...starter? solenoid?

Alright, yesterday went riding in morgan city with a bunch of guys from the forum. The ski was running fine for about 2 hours. Probably started it up and killed it at least 6 or 7 times with no problems. We took a swim break at a sand bar and when tried to head back out for another ride the ski started fine, but when trying to accelerate it sputtered and died. After that it wouldnt start again. Eventually, when you hit the start button, it would just make a clicking noise. We thought it was the battery, but it beeped loudly when we inserted the key. We even tried another skis battery with no luck. lasportsman continued to look it over while we were on the water and thought it was the solenoid. But, he said he bypassed the solenoid somehow and it still wouldnt start. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Is it possible that it could be something as simple as spark plugs? Is it also possible that it could be the starter or solenoid. If anybody has had a problem like this or thinks they might know what the problem is please chime in. I am stumped on what it could be, and i truely am not looking forward to replacing an expensive starter so i hoping it is a simple fix.
    Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for any advice

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert
    +1
    a starter will seem like a cheap fix if any of the other major parts went kabang. To check, kill the troll that lives under the bridge then take his wrench and put it on the pto after pulling the plugs and try to spin the engine in both directions. report results for the next clue

Where is the pto that i should put the wrench on? And what do you mean by spin the engine in both directions? Spin the impellor or crank it with the plugs out?

+1
    let's clarify what is really happening okay?..your pal bypassed the starter solenoid and no start..is that no start or no cranking?..if no cranking, turning the engine in both directions could free up a stuck starter..if no starting..well that's a whole other issue. The pto(power take off) is on the back of the motor..has a plastic guard over it. Shops try to turn that first to see if the engine has seized or there is some other problem causing the "no crank". It the simplest diagnostic in the business...if you can turn the pto..the engine has not seized and the starter drive is not jammed.

By no start, i mean that when he hit the start/stop switch it just made a clicking noise. In addition, the motor is about 4 months old and therefore i would assume is not seized. I am going to go try which you advised and will report back with results.

+1
    Starter Relay. Put the key on, pull the red relay tabs to expose the contacts, hold a screw driver by the handle and put it across the two relay contacts and see if it fires up. Depending on how many times you pressed the start button, you may have already drained your battery though. So if it doesn't work, try it with a different battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	248687

+1
    I'd be suspect of a 4 month old motor that failed to start. So you are not getting any engine cranking. If you can turn the motor, it won't be too tragic ( well maybe, if somebody didn't check the carb settings after the new motor was run a bit an air leak could have caused the motor to seize. One thing at a time however...

if you have a voltmeter put it on the battery and hit the starer button..if the voltage drops 50% and the engine isn't turning, you'll be shopping for a starter.

Moderator #985
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Starter Relay. Put the key on, pull the red relay tabs to expose the contacts, hold a screw driver by the handle and put it across the two relay contacts and see if it fires up. Depending on how many times you pressed the start button, you may have already drained your battery though. So if it doesn't work, try it with a different battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	248687
    Did that and actually have another GTI in my shop right now with the exact same issue. Test the voltage both on the in and the out post of the solonoid/ relay. All was good. Checked the fuse all is good. I am not familiar with these skis so I just did what I could for him out on the water. Took my battery and tried it but no change. All the skis are doing is when you hit the start button you can hear and feel the solonoid close but nothing else happens. It doesn't kill the dash or throw a code. Nothing only it will not start. I hated that they drove all that way and got cut half way through the ride and I could not get them going but as I said I am dealing with another one with brand new everything and having he same issue. I was coming to start my own thread but I found this one in my search.
    Guys please throw out any options and none are stupid. There is no telling what it is and we may be overthinking something very simple.
    Thanks guys

Moderator #985
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I'd be suspect of a 4 month old motor that failed to start. So you are not getting any engine cranking. If you can turn the motor, it won't be too tragic ( well maybe, if somebody didn't check the carb settings after the new motor was run a bit an air leak could have caused the motor to seize. One thing at a time however...

if you have a voltmeter put it on the battery and hit the starer button..if the voltage drops 50% and the engine isn't turning, you'll be shopping for a starter.
    PM sent

+1
    Im currently trying to fix a friends 03 gtx155 right now...it has the same issues...this is what I have found. When I started looking at the gtx. It would not crank..
    I pulled the spark plugs and engine cranks fine...
    put plugs back in and nothing..
    .swapped battery....nothing..
    swapped out starter solenoid....cranked fine with plugs in for 20secs....yet no start...
    Tried again...
    cranked slower...but started and idled high and surged.....
    shut it off after 30 secs...
    attempted to restart but would not crank fast enough....
    im lost....hope this helps you though...hahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information