Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

'04 RXP, another broken valve and likely lots of $$$ how can I prevent this.

I was out on the ocean today on my '04 RXP when the engine ground to a halt and it wouldn't crank at all. Had to be towed back by my friends. As this has happened before (spring '09) I had a pretty good idea what this likely was, and surprise surprise the rear most spark plug was really difficult to get out. And when I did manage to get it out the tip was smashed to pieces. Looks like once again a valve has either snapped or got stuck open and been hit by the piston. I wasn't riding the ski hard and it wasn't anyway near the red line.

Last time was a really catastrophic failure, the damage even cracked the main block, resulting in me having to exchange the engine. I'm really hoping the block and head can be repaired this time. I'll get the head off next weekend.

But anyway, enough of my troubles. The purpose of this post is to ideally get some tips from you experts on how to stop this happening again. Is this just down to the valves on the early engines? If so, assuming my head can be repaired, is it as simple as buying new version valves? Also is it the valves that fail, or is in the valve springs / retainers (and the valve snapping just effect rather than cause). I see the store has Riva stock valve retainer upgrade kits, I guess this suggests the OEM ones have weaknesses?

I really love my Seadoo ski but I can't be arsed to get a new engine or have expensive repairs every two years! I really want to diagnose and fix the problem.

Thanks

+1
    The last time it happened were your valves upgraded to the 08+ solid stainless valves? Or were the defective sodium filled exhaust valves used again?

+1
    The engine was exchanged last time, I think for another '04 or '05 engine, so I didn't change the valves last time, just the whole engine.

sorry to go abit off topic but just reading your post i noticed your from broardstairs, im from ramsgate where abouts do you ski????

+1
    04 and 05 skis used the defective sodium filled hallow valves. You need to remove the head and install the 08+ stainless valves to avoid this problem for a third time.

JetZone.dk
    Sorry to her this again and again...its another BRP joke like the ceramic clutches and the timing chain's.. ALL pre 07-08' Seadoo engines WILL break down if used in salt water due to the low quallity valves! Even though you are using the lupe at the Exhaust valves all the time. Normaly you need atleast a new piston, new valves and cylinderhead repair..one out of 4-5 break the block aswell..some of them bend the rod and crank...BRP are laughing all the way to the bank..AGAIN
    To compensate a little or to look at the possitive site... you can buy the Riva performance valves its cheeper than standard 07> and they will give you extra power. If the head needs repair, you can combine it with a head porting job/valveseat job for the larger Riva valves. There is people on this forum that can fix/modify the broken parts at a very fair price! Good luck!

+1
    Upgrade to the ferrea valves and dual springs. You will not have another issue. They are less expensive than OEM's and 9000 times better.

damn, now i'm getting worried, I just got an 04 rxp with 65hours, should I upgrade just the valves?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    damn, now i'm getting worried, I just got an 04 rxp with 65hours, should I upgrade just the valves?
    I would....

+1
    I took the head off last night and it's a bit of a mess, but not quite as bad as last time (at least the block isn't cracked, just slightly scored). But the piston is smashed and bits have fallen into the crankcase (and it won't turn). I've pasted some pictures below and the link from my last failure. And thanks 'Jetzone' for your comments. First thing I need to do is to get a few opinions on the whether the head can be repaired, to me it looks screwed. Also need to get the engine out and take the bottom end off and have a look at the crank. Will then send it off to be looked at and hopefully get re-bored / lined (however they fix them).

Previous post when it last failed: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...P-seized/page4

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information