Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1

Added Trim to my VXS

Bottom line,,I LIKE IT...it works.
    I retrofitted a FX trim cable and bracket combined with a SHO nozzle, trim ring and steering nozzle. I have not finished drilling and tapping the nozzle for the reverse yet, but it will come soon. 87mm nozzle with a 90mm steering nozzle. 70 GPS easily and quickly.
    I am running a R&D rideplate, R&D grate, my own fresh air mods.
    Trim really ads new life to the handling. Trim down is like a "real" boat with the nose planting hard in the water and scrubs off speed like slamming on the brakes. Nuetral trim is typical VXS handling all the way past 65mph. I started getting some bouncing action a little past that speed but with one click down took the bounce out. 1/2 tank fuel and I weigh 170 lbs. Moving your body weight around makes a big difference.
    Trimmed up the handling is good enough but at this point I am not going to brag a lot until I get the rideplate adjusted to where I want it. Nothing scary, just not exactly the way I want it. Like I said 70 mph comes easy,,and quickly withAttachment 248682out having to run forever. BTW, that is 70 sitting up on the seat...not superman style. I was only making a little over 1/4 mile runs to get 70 and tAttachment 248681he water was not perfect glass .
    Now the rough water,,,drives thru it like it should. Trim down and blast thru heavy boat wakes and chop. VERY COOL..Attachment 248680
    Sorry if the pics are small..I took them with my phone.

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    well done, that looks neat, wonder how long it will be before yamaha offers this as an option

+1
    Very cool. Doesn't the VXS come with reverse? Why do you have to drill and tap for reverse when the FX nozzle is already set up for the reverse bucket?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    Very cool. Doesn't the VXS come with reverse? Why do you have to drill and tap for reverse when the FX nozzle is already set up for the reverse bucket?
    I guess because the nozzle I put on there did not have the holes drilled and tapped for the reverse brackets for some reason. Every part I installed is used, so who knows. There is a LOT more input I have for this installation if anyone is really interested. I was a little short on info in the post, so just ask .

+1
    Nice effort !!

+1
    That's awesome! This is definitely the next mod I want to do to my VXR.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    So how did you mount the controls?

+1
    Well done champ!!!

+1
    Thank you guys for the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    So how did you mount the controls?

Trying to figure that part out took the longest. Several cold ones and scratching my head for weeks ...lol
    I used a GPR twist grip because I like the control and it matches the VX controls better than the FZ or SHO twist grip. The length of the grip was longer and I had to make a decision to just let it stick out further than the stock grip. I don't notice the difference when riding. With stock bars I don't know any way to make the twist grip work any better than how I have it. The FX black cables are the closest to being the right length and the Red main trim cable from the bracket thingy worked out being the right length. I had issues with the OEM bars and bar pad but found a way to route the cables thru the pad by notching the pad out some. One hole had to be drilled under the cowling just in front of the reverse bracket to run two cables back to the actuator bracket . I used 5200 silicone to mount the bracket to the wall. So far it has held fine. The cable thru the hull to the trim ring was pretty much straight forward. The hull and transom plate are designed just like all the rest of Yamaha's. Drill a hole and install the cable. It worked out fine and looks good. All in all the system is smooth and works like it is factory.
    Any of the Yamaha trim grips will work. The FZ or SHO cables will work but are really expensive.

+1
    Nice work Chuck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information