unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar

FX140 handling issue: doesn't like to turn left

I've recently rebuilt the pump on my 2003 FX140, and I'm pretty sure I got the pump output centered. The nozzle seems to move from left to right the same, mine highly calibrated finger measurement seems to show it to be about equal distance from the edge of the nozzle to the edge of the ski.
    However, when I'm out on the water, it'll turn on a dime to the right, and to the left itjust kind of mozzies over. When I'm at high speeds, I can turn the bars all the way to the left and it just kind of drifts over. I've got to thottle down, slow a bit and then turn. I gotta be honest it doesn't feel that safe .

Does it have something to do with the spinning of the prop? Does the nozzle have to adjust further one way or the other to compensate for this?
    Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    I've recently rebuilt the pump on my 2003 FX140, and I'm pretty sure I got the pump output centered. The nozzle seems to move from left to right the same, mine highly calibrated finger measurement seems to show it to be about equal distance from the edge of the nozzle to the edge of the ski.
    However, when I'm out on the water, it'll turn on a dime to the right, and to the left itjust kind of mozzies over. When I'm at high speeds, I can turn the bars all the way to the left and it just kind of drifts over. I've got to thottle down, slow a bit and then turn. I gotta be honest it doesn't feel that safe .

Does it have something to do with the spinning of the prop? Does the nozzle have to adjust further one way or the other to compensate for this?
    Any other thoughts?
    Did you remove the intake grate, or ride plate? If you did they may not be aligned proprerly. Try using a cruse controle at 50is mph let go of the handlebar and see if the ski pulls to the right. (WARNING letting go of the handlebar might cause injury or death!!) Make sure there is no one around when you perform this test. That might be whats going on. Ski should turn equaly in both directions. Hope this helps.

Roy

thank for the reply, I have had the ride plate off, I'll check the alignment.
    Also, I think I may have figured out my issue. Racking my brain this afternoon I remembered I had a problem with the nozzle when I was assembling everything.
    The pivot bolt was seized and broke when I tried to take it off. So I did what anyone would do and tried to drill it out with no luck. The bit drifted and the hole ended up over just a bit. At the time I didn't think anything of it and adjusted the pivot bolt thing to hold the nozzle straight. But the more I think about it, I realize changing the connection point can change how far the cable pulls or pushes.
    I'm going to replace the nozzle and see what happens

went out there and looked at it for a while this evening. Once I finally got a good spot to measure from, its definitely off.
    I'm going to try adjusting it before I drop the coin on a new nozzle

Thread Information