Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When to switch to synthetic

My VXS' have reached their 10 hour mark so it's time to change the oil. Should I run them a little longer on the conventional stuff or start using my beloved AMSOIL now? When I buy a new car I don't switch until 2500 miles to allow a good break in. Appreciate your input.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I switched at 10 hrs to Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle oil 10W40 I have 20 on it now......was thinking of doing 25hr intervals

I just did the 10 hour service on my FZR this morning. I decided to go another oil change cycle using factory Yamalube. I will switch to Amsoil Marine Synthetic before the ski comes back out in the spring.

My next oil change will switch out to Amsoil as well, wonder if i should have a bit more weight because of the turbo?? suggestions?

+1
    I had a long discussion with my dealer regarding synthetic. If you put a lot of hours on your ski like I do (120 since February) then you could be changing your oil every other month or so. Synthetic is considerably more expensive than regular oil. And the biggest reason for the changes is not a break down in viscosity as much as it is to keep the oil clean. You will usually only get 2/3 to 3/4 of the oil out during a change so old dirty oil will be left in the machine. Not only did I not go with synthetic I moved away from Yamaha OEM oil and oil filter. I discovered the primary manufacturer of the Yamaha oil filter (Wix) and buy the generic equivalent for $5 instead of $25. Same exact filter. I buy a quality ATV motor oil with the same ratings as Yamalube so my oil changes go from $70 or so (well over $100 if I used synthetic) down to $40. No jeapardy to the life of the engine or the warranty.

So if you own your ski to love and look at and want to feel good about giving it diamonds and jewelry go with expensive synthetics. If you own your ski to use and abuse maintain it diligently by sticking to to the schedule and use the difference in dollars you save as I described above to buy fuel.

I'm sure you are going to get a whole lot of argument with this comment. Use logic and apply it to your personal circumstances. Either way, you can't go too far wrong if you research the many threads in this forum and others about maintenance. Good luck.

+1
    You are good at the 10 hours to switch to the AMSOIL

AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Oil 10w-40
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/wcf

+1
    You are only 2 hours away from our distribution center. Order it today get it tomorrow. If you became a preferred customer your cost on the oil would get you right about the same cost you are paying for your ATV oil and you would be running a synthetic oil.

Save up to 30% off retail prices, by becoming a preferred customer.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp

AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Oil 10w-40
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/wcf

Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    I had a long discussion with my dealer regarding synthetic. If you put a lot of hours on your ski like I do (120 since February) then you could be changing your oil every other month or so. Synthetic is considerably more expensive than regular oil. And the biggest reason for the changes is not a break down in viscosity as much as it is to keep the oil clean. You will usually only get 2/3 to 3/4 of the oil out during a change so old dirty oil will be left in the machine. Not only did I not go with synthetic I moved away from Yamaha OEM oil and oil filter. I discovered the primary manufacturer of the Yamaha oil filter (Wix) and buy the generic equivalent for $5 instead of $25. Same exact filter. I buy a quality ATV motor oil with the same ratings as Yamalube so my oil changes go from $70 or so (well over $100 if I used synthetic) down to $40. No jeapardy to the life of the engine or the warranty.

So if you own your ski to love and look at and want to feel good about giving it diamonds and jewelry go with expensive synthetics. If you own your ski to use and abuse maintain it diligently by sticking to to the schedule and use the difference in dollars you save as I described above to buy fuel.

I'm sure you are going to get a whole lot of argument with this comment. Use logic and apply it to your personal circumstances. Either way, you can't go too far wrong if you research the many threads in this forum and others about maintenance. Good luck.

+1
    Tried. Your online ordering system leaves much to be desired. Appreciate your contribution and support to our forum.

+1
    Tried. Your online ordering system leaves much to be desired. Appreciate your contribution and support to our forum.
    Sorry to hear that. You can also call in the order. Please call me or pm me with the problem you had I will see if there is any way to get it changed to make it better. Always looking for suggestions. Thanks.

AWA MEMBER
    +1

I'd like that wix part # Im a amsoil dealer I sell Wix.... Love to save $ on that Yamaha Filter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information