Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rev limiting issue

Alrite so my bone stock 05 r12x is having a weird issue, at start up when its fully cold i feel a nice rattle noise coming from the bottom of the ski, maybe the pump area.

Than when i try to accelerate hard from a stop it basically just peggs the rev limiter and hops, does not really go anywhere until it like " catches traction" it seems

does anyone have any solutions for these problems??? the ski is bone stock performance wise so keep that in mind.

let me know

thanks

- mark -

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R12xmark View Post
    Alrite so my bone stock 05 r12x is having a weird issue, at start up when its fully cold i feel a nice rattle noise coming from the bottom of the ski, maybe the pump area.

Than when i try to accelerate hard from a stop it basically just peggs the rev limiter and hops, does not really go anywhere until it like " catches traction" it seems

does anyone have any solutions for these problems??? the ski is bone stock performance wise so keep that in mind.

let me know

thanks

- mark -
    Mark it sound's like a Pump problem! Take the pump off and look at the prop! Mine stripped out of the thread's! and fell right out of the pump housing!

How hard is this to do? Any quick steps on how to do this you can tell me

well i found a write up on how to remove the pump assembly and dissasseble and i did so tonight. the whole pump and everything came out, checked the bearings in the back no issue's, checked the splines on both the prop and the shaft itself no issue's there.

the only thing i found is with the jet pump assembly out i have alot of wiggle up front more near motor, it slides in and out about 2 inches or so and has some side to side wiggle etc.

do u think my problem is up there?? if so any input??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R12xmark View Post
    well i found a write up on how to remove the pump assembly and dissasseble and i did so tonight. the whole pump and everything came out, checked the bearings in the back no issue's, checked the splines on both the prop and the shaft itself no issue's there.

the only thing i found is with the jet pump assembly out i have alot of wiggle up front more near motor, it slides in and out about 2 inches or so and has some side to side wiggle etc.

do u think my problem is up there?? if so any input??
    That is the splined drive shaft sliding in/out of the coupler, which is normal. Look for dings in the surfaces to the impeller and check inside the impeller's female splined hole for a black rubber plug inside of it. It is almost impossible to see but a sharp pick stuck into the hole will feel the rubber instead of the pump centershaft end. If the rubber plug is not there it will make a loud rattling noise but will not cause your cavatation problem. Try and slide a business card between your impeller and the pump wall liner. If it is loose, it is time for a new Solas impeller. Make sure you move the plug from the old impeller to the new impeller. If you don't find anything else, then cut two bars out of your intake grate like everyone else has done.
    Clear as mud?

Well what do u think bout taking apart the front of the drive shaft? Where it goes thru the coupler than connects to the output of the motor? I feel a lot of slap up there and honestly when its cold start the rattle feels more up there than anything?

As far as the cavitating, yesturday I had a full tank of gas and my gf on the back of the ski, if I pinned it off the start it would honestly just rev up and hit the rev limiter n not go anywhere until I fethered the gas. Than once I did that it was fine

Seems like u know a bunch about these. My cell is 201-452-7978, maybe give me a text so I can have ur number to ask u some questions

Thanks

-mark-
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    That is the splined drive shaft sliding in/out of the coupler, which is normal. Look for dings in the surfaces to the impeller and check inside the impeller's female splined hole for a black rubber plug inside of it. It is almost impossible to see but a sharp pick stuck into the hole will feel the rubber instead of the pump centershaft end. If the rubber plug is not there it will make a loud rattling noise but will not cause your cavatation problem. Try and slide a business card between your impeller and the pump wall liner. If it is loose, it is time for a new Solas impeller. Make sure you move the plug from the old impeller to the new impeller. If you don't find anything else, then cut two bars out of your intake grate like everyone else has done.
    Clear as mud?

i pulled the rest of the driveshaft today, including the carrier bearing assembly and everything basically up to the motor is out of the ski. the carrier bearing seems to be bear and the bearings feel bad.

do i replace this as a whole assembly from honda ? or do i just order the bearings, seals , etc and rebuild it myself, i figure since its rubber the rubber could be beat too.

also another question: that rubber peice that goes in between the drive shaft and the output of the motor, the one that fits in the groove kinda area in between both of them. does anyone ever replace that due to wear??? it seems to be in great condition and very tight but i dont mind replacing stuff if it could help

let me know

thanks

- mark -

+1
    Buy a shaft seal assembly from Ebay as long as the picture does not show any bubbling of the rubber coated aluminum plate. I would offer 50-75$. It is a good thing to replace shaft seals on Hondas that have been in the salt since all 3 of my Honda shaft seals have failed from the aluminum corroding under the rubber coating and spraying water into the engine bay. The leaking seals are as destructive as the cable stop nuts that break as far as flooding the 'ski. Be sure to pump a lot of good marine grease into the housing after replacing the carrier/shaft seal assembly. I use the Merc 2-4-c with teflon grease.

I actually ordered all the parts to rebuild my carrier bearing set up myself.

What kind of grease do u guys recomend using for packing the new bearings and repacking the bearing on the propeller? Also would I use this same grease on the driveshaft where the shaft goes into the propeller?

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Buy a shaft seal assembly from Ebay as long as the picture does not show any bubbling of the rubber coated aluminum plate. I would offer 50-75$. It is a good thing to replace shaft seals on Hondas that have been in the salt since all 3 of my Honda shaft seals have failed from the aluminum corroding under the rubber coating and spraying water into the engine bay. The leaking seals are as destructive as the cable stop nuts that break as far as flooding the 'ski. Be sure to pump a lot of good marine grease into the housing after replacing the carrier/shaft seal assembly. I use the Merc 2-4-c with teflon grease.

+1
    You want to replace the whole housing, not just the bearings and seal since the aluminum in the housing corrodes and the rubber seperates from it creating a spraying leak. I use the Merc 2-4-C with teflon grease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information