Jared of Oklahoma

Help my jetski will not die when I pull the lanyard

1996 1100zxi Ok here's the deal-I know this has been covered before but I can't find the thread or threads. My ski will not start as designed when the lanyard is not attached. And it does start when the lanyard is installed which to me means the kill switch works as designed except when the lanyard is pulled and then the ski will not die. Since the ski will not start with the lanyard out, that seems to mean it works as intended right? However when I want this motor to die I pull the lanyard and it will not die! I'm thinking it could be a fuel issue, as in maybe I installed the fuel lines incorrectly when I replaced them not long ago. I checked them and they look correct as in the manual. I have the stock spark arrestor so I thought the carbs should not be pulling in air-thus keeping it running. I have checked all the grounds I can find and even cleaned all of them to make sure I'm getting a good ground. What am I missing? Do I have air in the lines maybe? Or???? Help guys, I really cannot afford to take this thing to a shop.
    Last edited by jarcynvicnchris93; 08-08-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

have you played with any of the ground wires? Could be a bad ground. Or the kill switch is not working.

Jared of Oklahoma
    Well here is an update-I replaced the kill switch within the grey housing on the handle bars. I also changed out the green start button because that is something someone else suggested since that wiring also goes through the kill switch. I also checked the plugs since there are three for the whole Start Stop assembly. (because this ski has trim and KATS-1996 Kawi 1100ZXI) I also opened the electrical box and checked the grounds in there. Next I checked the wiring harness ground that goes to the battery and cleaned it and the ground from the started. And yet the ski still will not die when I pull the lanyard. Could this be a fuel or Carb issue????? Anyone??
    Last edited by jarcynvicnchris93; 08-08-2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: left something out

i dont think fuel or the carbs have anything to do with it.

You can send it in to me and I'll fix it for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    You can send it in to me and I'll fix it for $15.
    You think it to be the kill switch too?

Jared of Oklahoma
    Ok I fixed it and I want to share what I did with the rest of you in case this ever happens to you.

I called a friend of mine that has a shop and is fairly good with pwc wiring. The first thing he asked me was "have you messed with any of the wiring on this jetski during the rebuild process?" I said yes, I went through the electrical box because it was full of sand and water when I first got this ski two years ago. Then he said well I think you know what you need to do and then hung up on me, Lol. So I thought crap I need to go back through everything electrical I have done to this ski and find this problem. I took the e-box back out and opened her up. Next I looked back at the switch on the handlebars and realized that there is a yellow striped wire that is common with the kill switch and the start switch. So I went back to the ebox and discovered that the yellow striped wire goes into a red flat plug. I unplugged the plug and discovered that the pin for that striped wire was so loose that when you plug in the flat plug it would not go even part way in. I tried to re pin it and that did not work, so I cut the wire and the other wire it pinned to and used spade connectors to reattach them. Next I went to my grounds and cleaned them all just to be sure, and I also used contact cleaner on anything that I thought looked suspect. Last but not least I checked my wire harness ground at the battery again and believe it or not the big black ground wire for the battery just fell off. I had checked it before and it was strong. I think maybe it must have been in a bind or had been bent to many times. I went and bought a new end for the battery ground wire and replaced it and then buttoned up the e box and hooked everything back up. I held my breath and started the motor, and then pulled the lanyard and success it killed the motor. Man I was pumped!!! I had actually fixed an electrical problem myself without having to take it to the shop. I hope if any of you have the same issue in the future that my experience helps you.
    Last edited by jarcynvicnchris93; 08-27-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jarcynvicnchris93 View Post
    Ok I fixed it and I want to share what I did with the rest of you in case this ever happens to you.

I called a friend of mine that has a shop and is fairly good with pwc wiring. The first thing he asked me was "have you messed with any of the wiring on this jetski during the rebuild process?" I said yes, I went through the electrical box because it was full of sand and water when I first got this ski two years ago. Then he said well I think you know what you need to do and then hung up on me, Lol. So I thought crap I need to go back through everything electrical I have done to this ski and find this problem. I took the e-box back out and opened her up. Next I looked back at the switch on the handlebars and realized that there is a yellow striped wire that is common with the kill switch and the start switch. So I went back to the ebox and discovered that the yellow striped wire goes into a red flat plug. I unplugged the plug and discovered that the pin for that striped wire was so loose that when you plug in the flat plug it would not go even part way in. I tried to re pin it and that did not work, so I cut the wire and the other wire it pinned to and used spade connectors to reattach them. Next I went to my grounds and cleaned them all just to be sure, and I also used contact cleaner on anything that I thought looked suspect. Last but not least I checked my wire harness ground at the battery again and believe it or not the big black ground wire for the battery just fell off. I had checked it before and it was strong. I think maybe it must have been in a bind or had been bent to many times. I went and bought a new end for the battery ground wire and replaced it and then buttoned up the e box and hooked everything back up. I held my breath and started the motor, and then pulled the lanyard and success it killed the motor. Man I was pumped!!! I had actually fixed an electrical problem myself without having to take it to the shop. I hope if any of you have the same issue in the future that my experience helps you.
    so was it the e-box or was it the ground? Or was it a combination....?

Jared of Oklahoma

Succes in fixing a loose wire.

I am positive it was the wire in the ebox. The ground just happened to break at the same time I was fixing the other issue. After pondering about this problem for a couple of days after my first post I knew it had to be something simple like a loose wire somewhere and boy was I right. This is the third ebox I have rebuilt from top to bottom. However I am human and capable of missing small details like that. This will not stop me from refurbishing my own boxes in the future because even used e boxes cost a freaking fortune. In the end my friend was right. Always check what you have worked on recently, because more than likely therein lies the culprit. I have lost count of the number of skis I have rebuilt from top to bottom since I started doing this 5 years ago and yet I am always learning something new.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Good job sir!

Thread Information