Thread: MFD

+1

MFD

Hey,

does anyone know anyone who is fixing MFD's? I purchased a possibly non working Oval MFD( dont have it yet to verify) but in the case that it is not working is there anyone that knows how to repair them?

Banned User
    +1
    I know how to repair them yes........as long as the problem is faded display segments. Any problem beyond that is usually not repairable.

+1
    ya I have no idea what this ones problem is picked it up for 25 bucks so if its a loss oh well, not tons of money spent. I mean people have got to be able to repair more if they knew circuitry, what would be the best way to test it? 12V and a ground to pins 1 and 2? see of it turns on? I do NOT have a harness for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    ya I have no idea what this ones problem is picked it up for 25 bucks so if its a loss oh well, not tons of money spent. I mean people have got to be able to repair more if they knew circuitry, what would be the best way to test it? 12V and a ground to pins 1 and 2? see of it turns on? I do NOT have a harness for it.

25 bucks is good deal. Hope it works.
    Yes, Pin 1 is Positive voltage +12Volts DC. Pin 2 is ground. I suggest you include a 1/4 amp fuse in the positive wire to pin 1. (The power to the MFD is fused with a 1/4 amp fuse in the electric box within the ski).
    After aplying the voltage press the mode switch to wake up the display. This will give you a good indication as to the status of the MFD. The below link from member K447 has lots fo excellent information. Just scroll down to the MFD section. Let us know what you find.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5pm View Post
    25 bucks is good deal. Hope it works.
    Yes, Pin 1 is Positive voltage +12Volts DC. Pin 2 is ground. I suggest you include a 1/4 amp fuse in the positive wire to pin 1. (The power to the MFD is fused with a 1/4 amp fuse in the electric box within the ski).
    After aplying the voltage press the mode switch to wake up the display. This will give you a good indication as to the status of the MFD. The below link from member K447 has lots fo excellent information. Just scroll down to the MFD section. Let us know what you find.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/
    No i did not use a fuse as it was just off my Cars Amplifier taped into the lines that are directly from the battery, problem is without a harness its not like its really CLICKED on, just ghetto rigged the leads onto them and blank display. the person i purchased it from told me he believed it did not work and it was sitting in a box of parts, the thing i dont get is how many of these ive heard dont work, i mean i haven't seen inside this one but im sure its just a simple circuit board, does no one know how to repair a circuit board? heck for them not during on it could simply be a bad capacitor!

[
    problem is without a harness its not like its really CLICKED on

A harness is not needed. Applying voltage to pin 1 (+12V) and pin 2 (-ground) is all that is required to power the instrument. Press the mode switch and the display will wake up if it is a working unit. Are you sure that you applied power to the correct pins?

the thing i dont get is how many of these ive heard dont work
    Actually both the round and oval shaped displays work very well. 99% of the complaints with these displays are "dim digits and sometimes missing digits" This is caused by a high resistance between the circuit board and the LCD display. This can be corrected by cleaning the contacts on both surfaces and on the flexable interface between the two. One must be very careful when cutting open the display so as not to cut the flat carbon cable between the switchs and the circuit board.

im sure its just a simple circuit board, does no one know how to repair a circuit board? heck for them not during on it could simply be a bad capacitor
    ![/QUOTE]

It would be nice if it was a simple circuit board but it is not. The board is double layered (traces on both top and bottom of the board). The components are minature and are all surface mounted. Some of the components have no numbers or discription on them. No scematic is available and since all the circuits are digital in nature, it is just about impossilbe to try and trace them.

I do have a few spare parts for the round MFD (circuit board, LCD with interface) that another member "Ixice" gave to me so that they could be used to help keep these older MFD operational.

I just saw one on e-bay for 250.00 I think. The seller said it worked perfectly. Close look at the digits and one of the numbers was already dim. It won't be long before the rest of the display goes dim.

+1
    Can the high resistance completely block the LCD from displaying?

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Can the high resistance completely block the LCD from displaying?
    Yes, it's possible, but usually some part of the LCD will will display something.

Thread Information