99 XL1200 Limited....ARGH!

So I bought this thing and it had a blown up 3rd cylinder....(posted in another thread)....well I got it all back together last weekend and finally got a chance to take it out today.

Long story short....it ran VERY well all day but, yes, there is a but.....my girl was cruising on the lake and it just cut off and said start on the display. Tried to start it and it wouldn't do anything. Had to get towed back to the dock.

Popped the seat off and the exhaust was HOT, couldn't touch it. Get it back home thinking the CAT fell apart but it's still there intact.

Any ideas what it might be or what I should check?

Thanks.

+1
    The cat con is part of what makes the exhaust get hot. The heat is what is used to burn the exhaust gasses as it flows through the cat making you a cleaner running 2 stroke. You should have a plastic shroud to keep yourself from getting burned. This is all normal, and why the "D" plate is such a hit. It runs so much cooler and much cheaper to buy.

Have you tried to start it now that everything has cooled down? Have you checked compression or looked at your plugs?

engine locked up, take the 3 plugs out and try to get it to turn over. Check the compression on the cylinder you fixed

Engine isn't locked up....tried to start it after it cut off but nothing. After a few minutes of sitting and hittting the start buttun it cranked over but really slow.

It cranks over....or did.....I did notice the battery was/is very week. So my thoughts are that it's not charging the battery or the battery is just bad. I had put a battery in it before all this and did notice it said "START" on the display but wouldn't crank over or anything. Come to find out the battery didn't have enough juice.

So, I am thinking the charging system on the ski isn't charging the battery or the battery is just no good. Thats why it probably died on the water.....battery ran out.

Thoughts? What should I look for or check?

+1
    If your battery will take a full charge and stay charged enough to start the ski put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is then start the ski if the voltage increases then the charging system is working if the voltage keeps dropping the charging system is not working properly.
    Do this test and let us know what you find if it will crank but it does sound like a seized piston. pull your plugs and see if any of them looked gray and dry from heat or post some pics of them.

Pulled the plugs last night and cranked it over....all pistons are moving.....compression is good.....120,120,110......all 3 plugs are light brown in color.

Problem is.....the battery is to weak. Will do that test you suggested later this evening. Would or could the charging system be bad on a ski with only 50 hours on it?

Seized piston???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by obxyj View Post
    Pulled the plugs last night and cranked it over....all pistons are moving.....compression is good.....120,120,110......all 3 plugs are light brown in color.

Problem is.....the battery is to weak. Will do that test you suggested later this evening. Would or could the charging system be bad on a ski with only 50 hours on it?

Seized piston???
    Yes an electrical system can just go bad but these are usually good systems. if you do find the charging system not working properly check the Rectifier & Regulator Assy. it should be mounted on the electrical box on the right hand side of the ski .

Took the battery over to get checked out....guy said his computer said it had or has a dead cell.......hmmm!

+1
    Mr Peanut Butter Jelly Time says IT'S TIME FOR A NEW BATTERY!!

Thread Information