Retard and advance cam gear timing questions...

Ok so I'm contemplating removing the valve cover while I have the jet pump out doing some work, I can use my old impeller to turn the engine via the driveshaft so the SC doesn't have to come out to adjust the cam gear timing? This is per the information in the other thread regarding full advance vs full retard. Seems like an easy task but I have a few question... Also, valve cover: does it have a metal valvecover pressed gasket that will need to be copper sprayed before putting back on and is a one time affair like most head gaskets I'm familiar with? I read the first couple pages of the other thread, I didn't seem to read any mention of the valve cover gasket and what to do about it, but from experience you can gain leaks I guess the seadoo motor is not exactly the same? I mean if the OP to the other thread did this on the dock, I'm certain he didn't locktite and spray the gasket with copper...

Also, Fueling: I have a Riva S3 charger, Rotax 42# injectors with stock fueling otherwise... will this affect my AFR to have to worry about it with no monitoring equipment? If it requires tinkering, it might not be for me, LOL.

I look forward to the replies.. I seem to remember my ski mid 80's temperature wise doing 68ish and 7700rpm around there, perhaps I'm fully advanced as well.

At the very least, I can see if from the factory I'm fully advanced or not... as I seem to recall similar stock numbers with slightly higher top speed.

+1
    I would not do the adjust until you have a rrfpr and a afr gauge changing timming will make it leaner and since you have no way of adjusting it much less seeing psi I would highly advise against. Work on external intercooler and a rrfpr first then you can make timming adjustments

I have a fizzle external intercooler already I need to upgrade my signature. The way it sits now, I have an S3 charger, rotax 42 injectors riva rear air and fizzle external intercooler. I'll have a riva top loader grate installed by the weekend and I have a solas 15/20 prop. Everything else is stock, except I'm adding the speedworks pump shoe saver bracket to my setup.

I won't mess with the timing if you guys thing it will be risky for me... maybe someone can chime in with a typical A/F ratio numbers from an S3 with 42's... I know that setup is safe to run bolt on and go, not sure what a timing retard will do to the setup though...

Oh yeah and I'm staying away from a RRFPR, dont' want to have to mess with that. I've heard to many problems with dialing it in, the setup I have now i'm happy with, I don't see ever going higher then the S3 charger setup since it's a safe setup without external fueling manipulation. Right now, I'm just tinkering and fine tuning the setup I have, thought maybe this timing mod would be helpful....?

+1
    I had the same setup in my GXT, You should be fine at full retard. But you should still monitor your A/F ratio..

We'll see that's the problem. The S3 setup is fine... and widebands are expensive. Maybe I should leave well enough alone...

Thread Information