flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1

How hot is too hot?

I went to the lake today for the first time since the heat wave struck the midwest. air temp is about 90*. at my lake (flows west to east) there is a nuke plant that pulls water from the east side and dumps water in to the west side that was cooling the reactor. with that being said the lake on the discharge end is over 98*...101* at the mouth of the discharge. the rest of the lake is at least in the upper 80's.
    What I am worried about is what this may be doing to my motor in the basin that my ramp and discharge is in. I dont think that im getting the cooling that i need to effectively cool this engine. I am not getting any alarms but just concerned. anyone have an opinion on this?

+1
    I have been running in 105 degree air and 92 degree water lately with no problems.
    I dont think that 100 degree water is going to hurt your motor as long as your cooling system is up to snuff and you dont run the boat wot for over extended length.
    Obviously donuts, and anything that eleminates your pump from sending 100% water flow to ic and exhaust would not be good. You want your rideplate in the water all the time for best cooling.

+1
    im running the original cooling system. I just notice that the ride plate is damn hot and so is the water coming off it when im tying it down to leave the lake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    im running the original cooling system. I just notice that the ride plate is damn hot and so is the water coming off it when im tying it down to leave the lake.
    I am sure it is hot and working hard to transfer the heat since the water is so hot your riding in.
    Are you running a high percent of antifreeze, since you live where it gets cold?
    If so you could change it out to mostly water and it would cool the engine better in the heat.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I'l be afraid to even swim in that water, reactors do leak a certain percentage.
    Anyways, here in texas is hott as hell the water at the lake cant even cool you off. But the only thing it would affect the ski would be the RPMs

+1
    I hope you don't get sick from the water. Lake Clinton is a small lake for a reactor. Same with lake Springfield. Find a new place to ride. Lake shelbyville looks like a nice lake and I dint see a reactor on it. I think a car is 140-190. So it should be OK.

+1
    Lake temp here in Central MS today was 97* and 103 Air temp. It was so hot, I couldn't stay in. I burnt 2 tanks riding. I'm done til sept. It is way too f'ing hot.

+1
    I was in the florida keys and the water down there is 98 degrees and the air was about 100 degrees. My ski ran fine. I did notice I lose 200rpm though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I hope you don't get sick from the water. Lake Clinton is a small lake for a reactor. Same with lake Springfield. Find a new place to ride. Lake shelbyville looks like a nice lake and I dint see a reactor on it. I think a car is 140-190. So it should be OK.
    im not worried about the reactor more than the bacteria in that end of the lake. The Lake Clinton is nice. Lake Springfield is a terrible lake,small, crowded, no shore line and shallow. Lake Decatur is my home lake but its shallow and more like a wide river. Shelbyville is a really nice lake but its an hour away and there is no easy way to get there with out going down some oil/chip road. its very deep and you can only make about two laps around the lake at WOT on glass all day. Party cove is very nice:yay2:
    Ive always wanted to go to Lake Carlyle. I just dont have the time in the summer to get down there.

Thread Information