Unhappy 1994 Waverunner III only makes wide turns

I bought a '94 Yamaha waverunner III last month for my son. He ran it for about 4 days, worked beautifully. Next morning he took it out and it would only make wide turns. He was tearing it up the previous day as only a 13 yr old can
    I know NOTHING about these things. What I CAN tell you is that when the steering is turned, the impeller??? in the back turns as well. Both ways. Just won't respond to the turning very well. The night before this happened the ski was pulled up onto the shore as we were camping. He did not pull it up very far, so by morning the ski was parallel to the shore. Was he turning too hard those 4 days to damage? or something because it was sideways to the shore all night?
    Thank you in advance, would like my son to have good time on what little money I have.

+1
    Check the intake grate and ride plate underneath the ski and make sure they are still secure. If a bolt poppped out that would cause the ski to ride crooked.

Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    Check the intake grate and ride plate underneath the ski and make sure they are still secure. If a bolt poppped out that would cause the ski to ride crooked.
    It rides straight ok, don't know what you mean by crooked? It goes great, just only wide turns, not sharp ones. Thanks for the info

+1
    yes, ride plate and intake grate will affect turning ability...also check the jet nozzle steering linkage...it may be loose or broken.

+1
    Wave 3s have a long steering cable from the rear of the boat to the steering nozzle. They are prone to get bent, when they do they usually turn real good one way and not tight the other. Other times they can have the cable separate inside the sheath, and get so much play they don't steer or steer real loose. Try to turn the nozzle while holding the handlebar tight, to see if there is play in the steering.
    Another possibility is under the hood where the cable attaches to the handlebars, the cable retainer came loose from the bracket, allowing the sheath to move with the cable and not allowing the cable to move enough to turn the nozzle full right and left.

Thread Information