Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

My conversion begins.....

I recently got bit by the ski bug AGAIN and decided this time to go the conversion route. I was enjoying my X model ski I had, and built it up to the point I was getting concened with stuffing everytime I rode it....which took the fun out of riding and pursuit to go faster. Josh, BAYOUFZR came down with a couple skis a couple weeks ago and got me back motivated to build something. I'm pretty anal about my stuff, so this won't be a thrown together weekend project. I would like to keep the ski as stock appearing as possible, with the seat on of course. My quest to find an unmolested stock GP hull was fulfilled last week when I stumbled across a Millenium edition GP1200 that was in a warehouse under a cover for almost seven years. Before then, it was garage kept. I'm very pleased to have the opportunity to start my project with such a clean hull. I had spoken to Thomas, MSRXP, and he put me in contact with Ben with Ben's Performance Plus regarding hull prep with safety and strength in mind. After a couple of conversations with Ben, I'm OVERLY pleased with his knowledge and experience with these skis and looking forward to having him help me out with the hull itself. I'm still up in the air about what powerplant to use, the Seadoo or the 1800cc Yamaha motor. Whichever route I go, I'm looking to have a 90mph plus recreation ski. Attached are a few pics of the ski, down to the factory warning decals.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions regarding my build.

EDIT>>> Here is the finished project and build in a nutshell...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1204.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	248724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1205.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	248725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1198.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	248726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1206.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	248727  
    Last edited by ksalles; 02-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.

+1
    You sure you want to put one of these in a GPR? I still think the SD engine is a better choice for a fast rec GPR conversion ski. The SD engine package is 100lbs lighter, better on gas, and its way easier to get it to holeshot. All out speed the Yami engine maybe the answer.

Name:	P6180019.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	248851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6180018.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	248852  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Looks even bigger when its in the back of the truck!! LOL! Makes a ton of torque but she is a big one.
    Keith I bet if you went with the E1, Riva upgraded sc shaft, Vtec stage III ecu reflash, intercooler, IMUK, and Jim's FF plate, with the ss intake you will have a 96 mph everyday rec ski

+1
    I'm leaning that direction. Even leaning a little more that way after tonight. I would like an essentially stock motor with a few upgrades as you've mentioned. I think with that combination, I should be at or near the speeds I'm chasing... as well have basically a gas and go type operation. Not to extreme or radical, but enough to get the job done with a hull properly tuned by Ben.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAYOU FZR View Post
    Keith I bet if you went with the E1, Riva upgraded sc shaft, Vtec stage III ecu reflash, intercooler, IMUK, and Jim's FF plate, with the ss intake you will have a 96 mph everyday rec ski

+1
    Thanks...and thanks for the previous help and input on my P-X that I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Good to see you back in the game.

Good luck with your project.

+1
    I got around to removing the motor, wiring, etc of the ski over the last couple days. Having a newborn and my other duaghter just getting back in school has made for slow progress. At this point, its pretty much ready for the addtional hull work Ben suggested. Next step is getting the ski off to him.]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1229.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	249631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1234.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	249632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1228.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	249633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1233.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	249634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1231.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	249635 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1232.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	249630

+1
    Nice meeting you today. Thanks for the help and getting me in touch with Ben. I'm thinking with his help and having him set up the hull etc, we should have a finsihed product that runs some impressive numbers when its all said and done. After the few conversations we had as well as meeting him today, I have no doubt the hull will be capable of achieveing the sppeds I'm after as well as be safe. He definitely knows those hulls front and back and in and out. I'm definitely looking forward with this whole process now after meeting him. Thanks again for the contact and offering to go pick up the donor ski....we'll see how that goes.

Gotta thank Josh for taking that ride too. And hey...he was actually EARLY this morning. I can't say anything bad about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    That thing is clean clean clean......... I am still amazed how clean it is. It is definitely a steal....

+1
    I picked up my 09' FX SHO Cruiser tonight for the conversion. Ski only had 18hrs. It's a bone stock un-molested boat. Time to molest it.

Name:	fxshomotor1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	250937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fxshomotor.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	250938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fxsho1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	250917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fxsho2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	250918  

+1
    I had the opportunity to take the "cruiser" out this evening. It's unbelievable how restricted it feels. Not that I was expecting any faster on a bone stock battleship boat, but it felt weak as circus lemonade compared to my modded X boat and BAYOUFZR's modded FZR. It basically feels like the motor is yawning compared to one with the reflash etc. I can't wait to get the motor out, upgrade the charger wheel, have Jerry install the flash, do all the necessary mods and put it where it belongs.

Name:	cruisergps.jpg 
Views:	942 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	251104  

+1
    Thanks guys. Ben has been keeping me updated on the hull prep etc. I couldn't be more pleased with his communication as well as attention to detail he is taking with making sure everything is setup in a manner that is not only fast, but safe at those speeds. Everything is coming along as planned. I'm looking forward to getting the hull back and fabricating what needs to be done prior to the motor install.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information