Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damaged my FZS Hull. Repair?

I was guiding my wife on to the trailer and she came in on a bit of an angle. I notice after I wrenched it up, that it was sitting on an angle. I took it back off and then pulled the trailer out of the water to get a better look. I noticed that the right arm with the carpet had flipped upside down. So instead of sliding up on the carpeted wood, she slid up on the back (which is a large strip of metal). I'm not sure how this happened because I was unable to flip it back over without loosing it up the bolt with a wrench.

Here's the damage:
    Do I fix this, or just let it go?

+1
    It looks like someone took a grinder to that hull. I thought that those hulls are a nano. It looks like fiber glass. If it was mine I fix it the biger hole look like it might crack later. But if it a nano hull not sure how it is done. Good luck.

I hate when the bunks " flip " I always watch that it doesn't happen, since it happened loading our 29 foot boat on it's trailer, thank god there wasn't any damage, for some reason it seems to always want to happen loading the ski's even when the screws are so tight they are almost stripping. Here is what I did, get the bunks in the exact postion you want them in when the ski is sitting on them, crank the hell out of the bolts and then tack the brackets in place with small 1/4-20 bolts and locknuts. Drill right through the bunk support and bunk mount, they will never flip again. Most definitely need to get those deep gouges addressed, that could lead to a huge delamination. My understanding is the nano X hulls need special materials and techniques, other than reccomending a professional maybe some forum members have DYI remedies.

+1
    I had similar damage from my dealer dragging my ski and it was repaired and almost 100 hours later it is fine. It was done at a body shop and I believe they just sanded it down, filled it using body filler, and painted it.

you been running that thing up on the beach? I would fix the deeper spots. A decent fiberglass shop should be able to fix it and not have any issues.

So is the Nano basically fiberglass? Or is a fiberglass patch ok on the nano hull?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by we7313 View Post
    So is the Nano basically fiberglass? Or is a fiberglass patch ok on the nano hull?
    Nano is not like fiberglass and fiberglass won't work as a patch. IMO as long as the damage isn't structural, have a body shop fill it and then paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Nano is not like fiberglass and fiberglass won't work as a patch. IMO as long as the damage isn't structural, have a body shop fill it and then paint it.
    What kind of patch should they apply then? Is this something that needs to be dealt with at a marine hull repair place? I'd think an auto body shop wouldn't know what to do with this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by we7313 View Post
    What kind of patch should they apply then? Is this something that needs to be dealt with at a marine hull repair place? I'd think an auto body shop wouldn't know what to do with this.
    Mine was just filled with body filler. But first you have to make sure the damage isn't structural. I would contact a few shops and ask their opinion.

I seen this stuff that you could do your self at west marine
    Gelcoat repair kits for the deep ones
    wet sand it and rubbing compound and wax it

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10301

here is some good info on how to fix it

http://forum.jetskijunkys.com/viewto...gelcoat#p16367

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information