+1

Have to sleeve my 150 block, but will weber piston "rings" be ok with iron sleeve?

i was all set to have my block re-nikasil plated, until i had a reply from the plating company (langcourts.com) that they havent had any long term success with the weber mpe blocks they have plated.!

it was good to know this before i had it done, but it seems that the early (first generation) weber mpe block cast-alloy composite dosent take well to the nikasil.

soooooo, i now have no choise to sleeve (thanks to watcon im able to easily)

but my understanding is that piston which run in a nikasil bore have a softer rings? in which case will the new oem snowmobile pistons that are on their way to me be compatible with an iron sleeve?

cheers

spencer

+1
    No this won't work. Send them direct to me and I will take care of them ha ha ha

I have sleeved three motors using standard rings with no problems. Over 50 hours on Mrs Kosh's MSX with this set up.

Interesting to here about the block composition, this may be why Polaris Australia sleeved the blocks under warranty instead of replating them.

There was a 4 year warranty on these skis down here to give purchasers some confidence in a company stopping production on water craft, so few were done!

+1
    hmm. ive also found out that, buying the sleeves and getting a machine shop to fit them will set me back atleast £600GBP!!!! so at that cost, i may as well buy new snow-mobile second generation cases. (Martin is confident with these cases) - also cosh the sled pistons and con-rods are ment to be the way forward? im giving it a go.

Martin @ precisionsports is yet again being very helpfull with parts.

it is interesting to hear about what langcourts.com had to say about the block. it would make sence with the coating de-laminating. they seemed to know what they where talking about.

I agree with Kosh,
    The OEM pistons are fine with cast iron sleeves. Kosh, what did you set your bore clearance at? I have a number I recommend, but I was curious to see what you had good luck at? I also have new & used blocks available.

Thanks,
    Randy

Thread Information