Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Got to test out a 300 this weekend...

Ok, I realize this thread will probably degrade quickly, but this is honestly what I found.

1) As far as riding the ski, it feels big, but very solid. It turns well, and feels very stable. It felt fast and stable in the calm. I did not ride it on the main lake so no rough water, just boat wakes. It was definitely scrubbed less speed dealing with the boat wakes than my VXS. But...

2). It is not as fast as it seems when riding it. The GPS doesn't lie. 66.7 was the most I got out of it.

We did 5 drag runs. 2 from a dead stop, 3 from 25 mph. The results were identical each time. We ran 2 miles, turned at a marker, and then ran back.

From a dead stop, the 300 pulled 3-4 boat lengths ahead off the line. By 60 mph, the VXS catches up to 1 boat length and then pulls ahead by 70 mph. The kawi seems to put on the breaks above 60 in the calm, even though it felt fast when riding it. Over a 2 mile run I was able to pull 3-4 boat lengths ahead. After the turn, at least 10 boat lengths on the run back to the start .Both runs the same.

From 25 mph, they are side by side till about 60, and then the VXS walks away easily 5-6 boat lengths in 2 miles. 12- 15 boat lengths on the run back. Hard to say looking back, but that was the kawi's owner, Bob, impression.

Based on GPS,vthe VXS is 4-5 mph faster on the top end. The hole shot on the kawi is impressive, but not enough to keep you from passing if you can keep the VXS in the water.

These were all calm water runs. When we played in a rougher, boat filled area, we didn't race due to traffic, but the Kawi was definitely losing less speed. It was able to plough thru waves that had me right out of the water.

So to summarize, loved both boats, kawi felt more stable at top speed and felt faster at top speed but was actually 4-5 mph slower in the calm. Not sure why. Both took the full speed turn well, and no engine problems with either machine. Kawi had 18 hrs, my VXS has 62hrs.

For what it's worth, I really liked them both.

The Kawi is speed limited to 67, and in all reality my speedo wheel was 1-1.5 mph faster than my gps, so essentially mine was speed limited to 66, 15 cents worth of washers and 15 minutes later I was de-limited and easily hitting 71 with a best to date of 72. De-limit the Kawi and i'm sure the results will be very different, the kawi should beat the VX in all conditions, from holeshot all the way up in the flat and leave it in the dust in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    The Kawi is speed limited to 67, and in all reality my speedo wheel was 1-1.5 mph slower than my gps, so essentially mine was speed limited to 66, 15 cents worth of washers and 15 minutes later I was de-limited and easily hitting 71 with a best to date of 72. De-limit the Kawi and i'm sure the results will be very different, the kawi should beat the VX in all conditions, from holeshot all the way up in the flat and leave it in the dust in the rough.
    Chris, the kawi had an aftermarket intake and he said had removed the governor to allow for max rpm.

Have you actually run against a VXR/ VXS or are you assuming? As I said , the gps doesn't lie...

Where are you in NY, maybe we can get together and go for a run?

Our little group is always looking to add more skis. Bob is coming with us in 2 weeks on a long range cruise, so I'll ask me what he has done to it.

Oh, btw, my speedo is off by 5-6 mph compared to GPS. It always reads 76 mph, and the gps read 70-71.

So if yours is only 1.5 mph off, that's good. How fast is yours on GPS? Can you take a full speed 90 degree turn, or do you back off?

My VXS is bone stock, I have not done the intake or exhaust.

Duke, were ALWAYS looking for new people to join us, Where do you ride ???? We have one guy in our group ( River Runner ) who launches out of either yonkers or georges island. We mainly launch out of newburgh ny and head to little stony point just north of west point. We are trying to do more runs this year, driving and launching out of catskill and going to troy, we used to do more runs down to NYC but really dont go very far south anymore.

As for the 300 vs. VX, doesn't sound like the 300 is running up to snuff at all, I have ran my wifes FZS against my 250 and now my 300. The FZS was pretty much identical in performance to my 250 in every catagory except holeshot and rough water, the 300 is better everywhere and on top end by 4-5 mph. Your VX sounds like it is better on top by about 2 mph, than the 250 and FZS so it would definiltey be close to the 300 in the flat..... If your ski is running 70+ that is excellent !

Come up our way, I will be glad to run you on flat and in the chop for comparison, then we can go have a beer at Gullies and lie about it....

Cool Chris, I am a bit farther north, I actually keep my boat on Lake Ontario, but will actually be cruising down to NYC in 2 weeks with the boat and we will be carrying the VXS with us.

We are staying at liberty landing, and then heading out LI and on to Block Island for 2 weeks.

Any chance of taking a run the weekend of the 20th-21st? Was planning on just cruising to Ellis island and the statue, but I would love to run in a group. I'll have a keg on the boat, so the beer is on me.

Btw, is that your GF in your avatar? If so, she can hang out with mine GF, who is also a fitness freak.

That way, she'll leave me alone so I can fill up on deli and beer while in the city, lol.

So Lake Ontario and st. lawrence is home base for you guys when you ski ?? As for the 20th, were really trying to get a group together and head up to A-bay fri, sat, and come home sunday, If it doesn't work out i'll let you know... So your running the boat all the way from L.O. out to Block ? Going out to block from the hudson is a great run, I have always wanted to take the boat from the lower hudson up to lake champlain. have fun !

If we don't go to A-bay, What day and what time you think you'll be going through west point area ?

Yep, we run to Alex bay all the time. Usually stay at Riversedge when on the boat. Bonnie Castle has some slips for skis. It can be really hard to find a place for your ski at the public docks, especially on weekends.

My GF loves A-bay for it's topless shenanigans during pirate days, it gets pretty wild up here once people start to let loose. Watch out for Canadian customs if you run over to Kingston. They are being really tough this year.

Sucks I am heading south that weekend, but you'll have a great time.

Our itinerary has us leaving Lake Ontario via the Oswego canal on the 13th, arriving in Troy on the 16 th. Weather permitting, should pass West Point on the 17 th or 18th. Plan on checking in at Liberty landing on the 19th and departing for Block on the 22nd.

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the 300x and the VXS earlier this year and landed on the VXS. I love it!

This guy has two of them. He had the work done by the dealership. He keeps them on the top deck of his 70' Hatteras, so I doubt he cheaped out. He buys new skis every year to always be the fastest. Traded his rxt-x in when he bought these.

He thought he was going to be the fastest, after I rode it, I thought he was as well.

But when we ran side by side, and put the gps on his Kawi,the truth came out.

The 300's never broke 67 mph. Period. Still a nice ski, though, and it certainly seems fast. Speedo said 69-70 but the GPS never hit 67, even with light tanks.

He is already talking about next year, lol.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information