+1

Exclamation Check your bilge pump

I was cleaning my 2007 FX HO and there was some junk under the bilge pump so I decided to unstrap it and remove the strainer. The plastic strainer had some muck/ debris in it but the internal metal strainer was fully clogged with this black muck. I was honestly surprised the bilge pump even ran with how clogged it was. This could have been a major safety issue had it gotten any worse. Take a few minutes today to check your skis guys.

+1
    Great tip Mike.

I don't normally do a pre-ride inspection like I should. With that said, I took my 10 yr old daughter for a ride the other day and after about 40 min of riding we jumped in the water to cool off. While I was in the water I started looking at the pump area and just about shit myself when I realized I was missing one of the upper pump support bracket bolts and the other one was slightly loose. Only thing I can think is I didn't tighten them last time I assembled my pump.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but thought I'd post another Check Your...(insert part name here).

+1
    Good info Craig. Glad you caught the loose bolts before anything bad happened.

I always do pre and post ride inspection of everything. Pump, intake, rideplate, wiring harness, steering, trim, filter, exhaust, and hoses. Takes about 3 minutes and it's a good habit to get into.

I havent checked my bilge pump in about a year. Thanks for the reminder.
    Well for that matter, i was headed to Havasu from Los Angeles a couple weeks ago and noticed my trailer seemed to pull a little more than usual. Stopped at the Wally Mart in Barstow for supplies and I always walk the trailer before I take off. Found the nut under the ball had about one thread left.. Of course I brought everything but a wrench that big.. Ran back into Wally's and they actually had a trailer Ball Wrench! Wife was nervous for the next three days... Could have been an absolute horror story.

Sorry as well to jack the thread... Good tip though . Ill start checking the pump area too before I launch too now.

Thanks for the tip.

Bilge

Quote Originally Posted by Looped View Post
    I havent checked my bilge pump in about a year. Thanks for the reminder.
    Well for that matter, i was headed to Havasu from Los Angeles a couple weeks ago and noticed my trailer seemed to pull a little more than usual. Stopped at the Wally Mart in Barstow for supplies and I always walk the trailer before I take off. Found the nut under the ball had about one thread left.. Of course I brought everything but a wrench that big.. Ran back into Wally's and they actually had a trailer Ball Wrench! Wife was nervous for the next three days... Could have been an absolute horror story.

Sorry as well to jack the thread... Good tip though . Ill start checking the pump area too before I launch too now.

Thanks for the tip.

DITTO...haven't check my Bilge in 4 yrs and here's what I found...

I wash out engine bay and dry vac after each ride so not too bad I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trap.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	250069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	250068  

Thread Information