Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile 4 Stroke Comparible To Gp1200 With A Couple Mods?

Howdy, really enjoying the forums so far... you guys are extremely knowledgeable!

I'm in the market for a new ski (first time buyer, but not rider) and have searched the forums extensively... it seems yamaha 4 strokes are the way to go hands down.

Cliff notes:

My question is, what new 4 stroke is comparable to a gp1200 with minor mods? I'm unsure which mods because I'm inexperienced and the ski was purchased like that, but she has a meaner growl than stock, aftermarket filters, stock pipe, and pulls out of the hole like mad.

Long version/backstory:

I live on a lake across from my uncle who bought two used yamaha's 3 years ago. (2000 gp1200 (r?) and xlt1200.

They sat for three years until I moved to the lake and I helped him finish his dock, etc... real bitch to get them going, the throttles stick, foul plugs, don't like to start cold, etc... But when they run, they're great! Especially the gp1200.. pretty quick, but I really like how fast it gets on plane and the lightness/ability to toss it around. Problem is, once you ride that one, the 1200xlt is a pig in the handling department, too slow, and kinda boring. lol

I went to my local Yamaha dealer and asked some questions about getting them running smooth, and they basically said they're screwed from sitting with ethanol fuel in them. Without even looking at them, they said I would AT LEAST need a carb rebuild on both, a primer kit for both (something about ongoing cold starting problems??), and probably a wear ring if I seen any sign of water inside the motor compartments (which I have on the gp1200).

Price for that is anywhere from $500-1k EACH.

It doesn't really make much sense to fix them when I could get a new one or slightly used trouble free, I just don't know how they compare. MAYBE fix the gp1200 and ditch the xlt, but I wanna ride everyday at lunch (I work from home) and want something reliable.

What would you guys recommend?

I want to stay away from something like the xlt1200, because it's not nearly as fun as the GP1200. I would like to be able to have one extra person in tow, comfortably. Fuel economy is of minor concern since I plan to ride a little everyday, and would like to avoid lugging a gas caddy as much as possible. However, I will sacrifice some fuel economy for some performance, because after the riding the GP, I would hate to be stuck on something comparable to the XLT!

Thanks for your help!

+1
    This one: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunn...50/0/home.aspx

It is comparable to a GP1300R with a little more top end...

Really, the VX models?

That's good news, those are cheaper than what I was expecting... the FX Crusier SHO is what I thought my baseline would be. Maybe I need to read the boards more. lol

+1
    Yes, I have not lost to a 1200R, 1300R or Ultra 150 on my VXR yet.... All being mostly stock. I actually think the VXR/S handles alot like a GPR IMO

Good to know... my local dealer has a decent deal on one as well: http://www.cyclesportscenter.com/new...66&pov=2089128

However, something about this cruiser seat looks really appealing if I wanna grab a chickiedoo and go for a long river cruise: http://www.cyclesportscenter.com/new...68&pov=2089149

No idea if the 30 horse gain is worth sacrificing a little reliability since the SHO has a supercharger, but from the forum searches I've done, as long as I'm meticulous about the maintenance, either should be fine. I'm guessing the VXR is more sporty in the handling department though.

80? LOL Shit man, I think 60 is fast, 70 must be SCREAMING! I just want the snappiness/acceleration/holeshot feel and have never been on a 4 stroke ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    Yes, I have not lost to a 1200R, 1300R or Ultra 150 on my VXR yet.... All being mostly stock. I actually think the VXR/S handles alot like a GPR IMO
    I agree. The VXR isn't quite as nimble as a GPR but it's damn close. It has the same on-the-nose turning as a GPR & is easy to lean into a turn. Even without a SC, the lighter VXR feels very close in acceleration to a stock SHO/FZ & has a better holeshot than the heavier skis.

Just stay away from the more heavily modded GPR's. My 1390 will run dead even with a stage 3(E1, Vipec) SHO from a dig to 80.

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    ha...well, the VXR sounds like the ski for you, then
    +1

+1
    Don't let me steer you away from the that FX SHO if that is what you really want!! That thing is effin Sick.. even better at that price! It's more of a AMG Benz and the VXR is more like a Porshe 911....

I do love my VXR tho... It impresses me everytime I ride

Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    Don't let me steer you away from the that FX SHO if that is what you really want!! That thing is effin Sick.. even better at that price! It's more of a AMG Benz and the VXR is more like a Porshe 911....

I do love my VXR tho... It impresses me everytime I ride
    With a name like cougarkiller, you should know which one is better suited for a nice cat on the back.

100lbs extra, only 30hp more... I can see how they would holeshot the same.

Sold my stock GP to buy my VXR, was worried about a performance difference. I used to be diehard 2 stroke fan because that was what I was used to. Now I wish that I would have bought my VXR back in spring.

So + 1 on the VXR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information