Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 Txi shuts off

Help this newbie out. Took the 02 Virage Txi out yesterday and had been riding for about 30 mins and then i went WOT and it just shut off. Turned on right away and then a min later shut off again. Let it sit for a while 1-2 hrs and took it out again and ran fine for 10 mins then shut off. this time it was not WOT. I know i shouldnt go with display but it was reading below 13 or lower when trying to start. Finally got it to run after 5 mins but shut off and had to tow it back. Didnt have any tools at the time so couldnt check anything.

I did some searching and found that it might be stator, battery, tsp or other stuff. where should i start?

Start by looking over the info here that pertains to your ski http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ Could be a number of things. Any warnings on the MFD?

i didnt get any warnings. will check it thanks.

I am very familiar with the site. i was on there when i first got my ski. i was actually in the process of changing out the stator thanks to the site.

Got home from vacation and found a dead battery. Replaced battery and solenoid and took the ski out this weekend. Ski starts right up but still shuts off when WOT. It will idle for a long time but once you hit the gas it will run a min or so and shut off. Im thinking its the stator. I was aslo thinking the EMM but why would it idle forever but once i press the throttle it shuts off. After reading several posts i am thinking its the stator. Does anyone know where i can get one?

I would seem to think the TPS could cause that also. You can check the stator with a digital meter but touch your meter leads together first to see what it reads and subtract that from your actual reading.

12 VOLT STATOR WINDING RESISTANCE
    (PINS: 1 AND 12 / 2 AND 11)
    0.1 - 0.3 Ω
    45 VOLT STATOR WINDING RESISTANCE
    (PINS: 3 AND 10 / 4 AND 9 / 5 AND 8
    0.3 - 0.5 Ω
    STATOR PINS: 1 -- 12 (EACH) TO GROUND O.L.
    STATOR CRANKING VOLTAGE (APPROXIMATE)
    (WIRE COLORS ASSOCIATED WITH PINS LOCATED ON WIRING
    DIAGRAMS.)
    CHARGE BATTERY TO 12.5VDC PRIOR TO TESTING.
    PINS:
    1 AND 12 7VAC
    2 AND 11 7VAC
    3 AND 10 5VAC
    4 AND 9 5VAC
    5 AND 8 5VAC

If you want to get the EMM checked you can send it off to DFI technologies but that would be my last step if all else fails. If you will cover my shipping cost I have a used TPS in the shop that I will let you try and see if that fixes it. Just ship it back to me is all I ask It caused a small hesitation at low RPM on my Genesis I so I put a new one on. Other than that it works fine. Just dont overtighten it when you install. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks jackofalltrades. I just got my multimeter back today so i will be trying this first thing after work. Ill let you know what readings i get.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    I would seem to think the TPS could cause that also. You can check the stator with a digital meter but touch your meter leads together first to see what it reads and subtract that from your actual reading.

0.1 - 0.3 Ω
    45 VOLT STATOR WINDING RESISTANCE
    (PINS: 3 AND 10 / 4 AND 9 / 5 AND 8
    0.3 - 0.5 Ω
    STATOR PINS: 1 -- 12 (EACH) TO GROUND O.L.
    STATOR CRANKING VOLTAGE (APPROXIMATE)
    (WIRE COLORS ASSOCIATED WITH PINS LOCATED ON WIRING
    DIAGRAMS.)
    CHARGE BATTERY TO 12.5VDC PRIOR TO TESTING.
    PINS:
    1 AND 12 7VAC
    2 AND 11 7VAC
    3 AND 10 5VAC
    4 AND 9 5VAC
    5 AND 8 5VAC

If you want to get the EMM checked you can send it off to DFI technologies but that would be my last step if all else fails. If you will cover my shipping cost I have a used TPS in the shop that I will let you try and see if that fixes it. Just ship it back to me is all I ask It caused a small hesitation at low RPM on my Genesis I so I put a new one on. Other than that it works fine. Just dont overtighten it when you install. Send me a PM if interested.
    I di check the
    0.1 - 0.3 Ω
    and did receive the reading of .017.

Do i need to connect check the
    PINS:
    1 AND 12 7VAC
    2 AND 11 7VAC
    3 AND 10 5VAC
    4 AND 9 5VAC
    5 AND 8 5VAC
    using the female connector that was disconnected from the CDI? Do i put the red needle from the multimeter in each pin and the black pin from the multimeter to ground? when i did it this way i was not getting the correct readings.

Ended up doing a fuel pressure check last night and did not get a reading on the gauge. I am thinking it has low pressure. Fuel does shoot out of the valve. hope this is whats causing it to shut off. Didnt get a chance to crimp the hose but will do so after work. maybe the regulator fell off?

Quote Originally Posted by USAFrider View Post
    I di check the
    0.1 - 0.3 Ω
    and did receive the reading of .017.

Do i need to connect check the
    PINS:
    1 AND 12 7VAC
    2 AND 11 7VAC
    3 AND 10 5VAC
    4 AND 9 5VAC
    5 AND 8 5VAC
    using the female connector that was disconnected from the CDI? Do i put the red needle from the multimeter in each pin and the black pin from the multimeter to ground? when i did it this way i was not getting the correct readings.
    Yes, you check the stator from female connector end that goes to the EMM and yes, you check them between the pins numbers listed.

In regard to your fuel pressure, make sure your gauge is working properly. If I am reading what your saying correctly the engine will start but you dont get any pressure reading on the gauge? If thats the case something isnt right with it. Make sure its connected properly or try another gauge.
    Last edited by jackofalltrades; 08-31-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information