anybody know can do flywheel lightened

Gpr flywheel 66v. Is it worth it?

+1
    Do a search on lightened flywheels. It has been done before with success. Unfortuantely, I think that the guy who lighened AND trued the flywheels passed away. His name is George Grabowsky, an old school tuner/machineist who set us straight on GPR's from the very first day.

I have two of his lightened flywheels that he cut for me in 2001. Much improved accelleration in the mid range with no top end increase in rpms or speed at all.

I would do it all again if it were available and I needed one. They are much stronger than the aftermarket aluminum lighened flywheels and still have the ability to charge your electrical system.

I think he removed somewhere between a pound or two of metal.

Yes, George passed away a few years ago. He used to have a pretty informative website also, but it has been taken down.

Another way to go is a RAD flywheel. Pretty sure that both types (charging or not) were made. I've ran two of the non-charging flywheels for a long time without a problem. Since a charged battery will at least one full day's riding I've never had a problem - just have to remember to cook the batteries the night before.

Also besides faster revving - the thought used to be that a lighter flywheel would help prevent problems with the crank snout being broken off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ......... the thought used to be that a lighter flywheel would help prevent problems with the crank snout being broken off.

True that.

I bought a mag pump with my lightened flywheels and promply tore two snouts off of my cranks. That was the last time I used my mag pump. It just puts a heck of a load on your crank in rough water. Far and away, it was the best set up for rough water and closed course racing that I ever used.

Another way of saying it is that it did not work for me.

They did make the aluminum lightend fly wheel charging and non charging. They were both expensive and have a tendency to crack. The modified stock flywheel was the cheaper alternative.

Thread Information