Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake grate help

Guys: my RXT intake grate pulled out from the inserts. Since the boat is under warranty, I figured let the dealer handle it. Obviously, they pulled out again. Dealer said they used 5200.

Anyone have any better ideas to seal them up for good?

Brendan

+1
    I had the same problem as have many others.

Drill on each side of the center bolt thru the grate and into the tab on the front of the rideplate. Tap the holes you just drilled into the rideplate for 1/4" bolts. Now you will have to mill the grate around the holes you drilled so the bolt heads can be countersunk.

Epoxy the inserts back in place in the pump shoe. Bolt the grate up using the two outer inserts and the two new bolt holes you just made. Don't even worry about the center one. Silicone around all the bolt heads and then smooth it out with a razor blade to make it look neat.

Thanks Jer. This will be the saturday project while the wife shops!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    brendan... what did they 5200? the intake grate, or the inserts?

and what broke? the inserts never pull out unless the middle rear bolt that attaches it to the rideplate fails first... once that middle rear bolt on the RXT lets go, then the inserts get yanked immediately...

i expoxied my brass inserts back into the pump shoe and hammered them in there, got a new intake grate since the bolt broke the grate, and it's fine...

so like i said, it depends what they 5200 in there... the grate or the inserts... if the inserts, that's fine. and u need to know what failed the first time, bc the inserts are not the cause, they carry very little of the actual strength of the intake grate being bolted on there

Banned User
    +1
    I had an issue like that on my GSXL...I welded a new Solas intake to the ride plate...

Steve - I have to take another look at the rear of the intake grate. It appeared that only the inserts pulled out again, but now that you mention it, the rear bolt could be gone! Originally, my 1st intake grate broke at the rear because i had shaved down a little too much. The dealer (Matt from Xtreme here in NJ) applied 5200 to the ski before reinstalling the inserts. My understanding was the back bolts had NEVER broken or come out.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i'd be willing to bet that the counter-sunk surface on the intake grate broke off for that middle rear bolt. the bolt probably never snapped, pulled out, or anything... the bolt stayed in the rideplate, but the grate lowered leaving 1 bolt behind and pulling 2 inserts out....

just think about it in your mind... you have 3 bolts at the rear of the intake grate... 1 of them gets bolded into a solid chunk of aluminum that's part of the rideplate... the other 2 get bolted into two very short cheesy brass inserts that get pressed into PLASTIC... if the rear bolt that goes thru the rideplate never snapped or backed out, then how would there be leverage for the brass inserts to pull out...

definitely check it out a little further... the inserts mean nothing, that kinda take some of that sideways rocking out of the intake grate, the real bolt that's holding it to the hull is the one that goes into the rideplate, i think u'll find your problem with that middle rear bolt.

Now that I think about it further, you got to be right. There must be something wrong with the rear center bolt. I will check tonight.

Thanks a lot.

+1
    Steve is right. I guarantee you the boss for the center bolt broke out. This causes the grate to pull the inserts out.

Drill/tap on either side of the center bolt and never worry about it again

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Steve is right. I guarantee you the boss for the center bolt broke out. This causes the grate to pull the inserts out.

Drill/tap on either side of the center bolt and never worry about it again
    Will do. Thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information