Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP 787

XP 787

Hi guys,

I have decided to fix my XP 787 which had been sitting gathering dirt for about 3 years.

I plan on doing all the work myself with another friend which has more mechanical knowledge than me, so need to keep costs to the minimum

Things that need fixing:

Throttle wire needs replacing
    Steering is very stiff - don't know what to do.
    VTS system is broken - replace or remove?

From memory the ski never used to accelerate well but once it would pick up a bit of speed it would take off, is this carb issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to how to go about getting this bad boy back in the water. I have very little experience with working on jet skis so don't really know where to start...

Is there anything I should check or look out for in particular?

Here are some pics...

first off change all of the grey fuel lines, clean carbs and fuel selector valve, drain the fuel tank also and use fresh gas. change the pump oil and look for water contamination. coat all the metal with WD-40. as for the steering cable, it's either frozen or the nozzle is frozen, once you take off the cable from the nozzle you'll be able to tell. disconnect the vts for now until you diagnose how to fix it, search VTS repair. if the throttle cable needs replacing, search the classifieds for one and a steering cable also.

everything that jersey said is correct... but I might suggest corrosion block instead of wd40, not a huge fan of wd40, i think c-block and fluidfilm are better for the application, but thats me...

and take that pto bracket off, blast and paint it, it hurts my eyes just looking at it !

if you haven't done it.. maybe time to go premix...

Thanks for the advice, what is the fuel selector valve, also what is the pto bracket?

I have one of these sitting in my Garage. All whitewith black hood, great shape!!! R&D nozzle & tabs, Umi steering and bars, no mirror hood,beach house sponsons.......Etc, Etc.Would be a better rebuild(no offense) Come and get it for 750.00, Bring a trailer.

Id definately take that offer if i was in the states, but being in Cyprus its quite hard... I love these XP's...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyX View Post
    Thanks for the advice, what is the fuel selector valve, also what is the pto bracket?
    the pto bracket is the rusted metal on your 3rd pic,the one that connects to your rear engine supports.

and the fuel valve is the fuel selector switch?at the back of the "on","reserve","off" selector switch.you will see 3 fuel lines connected to that valve.

may also suggest pulling out the cylinder head so that you can see the condition of the pistons and sleeves.does the engine turn manually?

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyX View Post
    my additional advice, based on those two questions.. is to recruit a friend to help ! your in over your head...
    not meaning to offend you, but i've been in over my head before, better to admit it then to screw up. I've restored 2 xp's from scratch, and i had to lean on some very knowledgeable people to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHuffman View Post
    I have one of these sitting in my Garage. All whitewith black hood, great shape!!! R&D nozzle & tabs, Umi steering and bars, no mirror hood,beach house sponsons.......Etc, Etc.Would be a better rebuild(no offense) Come and get it for 750.00, Bring a trailer.
    where are you located steve ?

so let me get this straight. if i dont know the terminology or the name of these two parts, it makes me incapable to fix it?
    Its not that im over my head, i have it here sitting for >5 years. why not try to fix it? if it cant be fixed, no harm done really

Thanks but no thanks for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    my additional advice, based on those two questions.. is to recruit a friend to help ! your in over your head...
    not meaning to offend you, but i've been in over my head before, better to admit it then to screw up. I've restored 2 xp's from scratch, and i had to lean on some very knowledgeable people to do it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information